Sweet Habanero

karl struck

Sound good, of course my 25 year old son is the pepper guinea pig for me. I may try them. I already grow Thai peppers, dry and grind them up for him to sprinkle. Theses sound like they would be good cooked in something whole.

GMB54

Habanada has no heat. Other than that they are popular on the hot pepper board. You can also try a Aji Dulce but there are many types that are all called Aji Dulce. Its a type of heatless "habanero" (chinense). Dulce means sweet in Spanish. Personally i was not impressed by Aji Dulce #1 from chileplants.com. Pods were tiny and not much flavor. Good for a sofrito but not much else.

My personal favorite very low heat chinense is Aji Panca but its not sweet and mainly used after its been dried. Its not for eating fresh. A good low heat hab type is called the Stuffing Scotch Bonnet. Its not totally heatless but it is much lower.

I think you can still get seeds from Pepperlover
[youtube]10mJsJSd2Pw[/youtube]

Another REALLY good one is Aji Arnaucho. Im growing them again thing year. Heat is between cayenne and a habanero. Whats really cool about them is they go through multiple color changes and produce heavily even in pots. Any color after green is edible. They start green with a splotch of purple on them and no that not sun burn. Great pepper and tastes very much like a habanero.
bZ2PPo3.jpg

Green to yellow to peach to orange to red
RIL07Pi.jpg

GMB54

No. All i can tell you is it wont taste like a habanero. That one is a annuum. Its a bit late to start anything in the "habanero" family of peppers. I would order seedlings if i wanted a grow this late. Most places ive seen seedlings you have to order 6 packs mix/match but it needs to be multiples of 6.

chileplants.com should still have some. They are a huge vendor.

This guy is from Illinois and will be listing his extra seedlings anyday now. All certified organic. Im growing some of his seeds this year.
https://lawrenceproduce.com/collections
https://www.facebook.com/LawrenceProduce/

GMB54

You should be ok if you started in March. I start some peppers in late Jan or Feb. Depends on the variety. Some rocotos i have to start at the end of the previous years season. Peppers like jalapeno and most annuums you can start much later. Ive started some of those in early April and still had a great harvest. If you ever grow super hots start as early as you can if you want ripe peppers.

I loves me some Scotch Bonnets. Start them early and have pods by July.
6QEJvZO.jpg

niFNWm1.jpg

NWtdwlH.jpg

Latest posts