Surf fishing... what do I need to know?

TNReb

Going to be in Florida (gulf) for a week in August and since we will be staying on the beach, I want to try some surf fishing. I've never done it before.

I assume early mornings and late evenings are best...

What do I need to know?

Bait? Use a cast net and see what I can catch? Or is catching bait in the surf with a cast net just a crap shoot? Buy bait? Can I catch bait with artificial lures and a lighter rod/reel?

I assume to use circle hooks. What size sinkers generally work? Drop shot rigged or what?

Other tips/suggestions?

TNReb

bigquacks":21zxzyjz said:
Check out Pensacola Fishing forum. Tons of info on that site, and not just for Pensacola area. Where are you going?

Thanks. I'll check it out.

We'll be in Santa Rosa beach.

catman529

lung-buster":5fu3lfk7 said:
Pick up a sand flea rake for bait. I always take some of my heavy bass rods to chunk a spoon with.
never heard of such, I used to just watch for them when the water went back and then dig in and grab them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Everything in the ocean eats a shrimp. Take a throw net and look for schools of baitfish in and around grass beds. I forget the name of the little fish we use for bait but you can hook them thru the lips and fish with them all day if nothing eats them. I normally use a heavy spinning rod and fish a pompano rig for whiting and pompano.

Pinwheeled

If you just want to catch something, about any spoon, jerkbait, swimbait, or white hair jig will catch Ladyfish. Always a chance at a bonus redfish, bluefish, Spanish mackerel, or flounder too. This slot redfish hit a swimbait on a half ounce jighead. Look for any low spots in the first sandbar and don't think you have to cast a mile to catch fish. Lot of fish hang out in the trough created right at the waters edge.

6a53f0b1892659fe565e7bf1ccfae98d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk