Food Plots Sunflowers 2022

Chaneylake

This is mainly for conventional planting even though plan could be modified for no-till farming

Anytime around the end of March do your burn down
32 ounces of gly 4 and 8 ounces of Dicamba in 10 gallons of water covering 1 acre. Wait 20 days to allow for a good vegetation kill.
I broad cast my "coated fertilizer" Anytime around 15 days if fields are dry enough.

As soon as fields are dry enough at end of 20 day period I incorporate 32 ounces of treflan or prowl into the top 2-3 inches of soil using the scratcher do-all.

Anytime around May 1, I am ready to plant.
Planter set at 18,000 to 19,000 seed per acre, planted at 1.5 inches deep.
As I am planting I am also spraying my herbicides out the back of the planter.
11 ounces of liquid Zidua.
24 ounces of generic Duel.
42 ounces of Paraquat
2 ounces of Insecticide
The above chemicals in 10 gallons of water covering 1 acre.

This has been my plan the past 3 years and I basically don't have to do anything else to fields until time to bush hog.

WilcoKen

As I am planting I am also spraying my herbicides out the back of the planter.
11 ounces of liquid Zidua.
24 ounces of generic Duel.
42 ounces of Paraquat
2 ounces of Insecticide
The above chemicals in 10 gallons of water covering 1 acre.
Do you find that you have to spray herbicide much after germination? Im not going to buy RR seed so Im hoping these pre emergents get me through til Sept 1. I guess i could always cultivate if weeds started showing up. My plot is only 2 acres.

Chaneylake

Do you find that you have to spray herbicide much after germination? Im not going to buy RR seed so Im hoping these pre emergents get me through til Sept 1. I guess i could always cultivate if weeds started showing up. My plot is only 2 acres.
a RR sunflower seed does not exist.
I never have to spray anything after I spray what I posted.

Westnvol89

Thanks for posting Chaney. I've never tried sunflowers but decided to try your plan this year. I sprayed burndown last week. Excited to get the seed in the ground and see how it turns out

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Thanks for posting Chaney. I've never tried sunflowers but decided to try your plan this year. I sprayed burndown last week. Excited to get the seed in the ground and see how it turns out
There is a reason chaneylake burns down so early! Pay attention to the residual term on your chemicals!!! Planting too close to burn down will let your seed sprout only to be killed before emergence. He is spraying preemergence herbicide which kills upon germination and most of those have a 45 day wait!!!
There is method to his madness lol
He is the sunflower king around here, the only other way to be successful with sunflowers is in a blend of fast growers that outcompete weeds and grasses but are compatible with sunflowers.
I

Latest posts