Food Plots Sunflowers in plot for cover?

hammer33

The farm I hunt has little woods and cover. Mostly rowcrop fields that are bare by MZ. I have a couple little corners I put a bit of clover and wheat in and was wondering if it would be worth planting some sunflowers to leave all winter. I know the seed will be long gone by hunting time, but I thought having some standing cover might make the deer a bit more comfortable being out in the open.
Worth fooling with? Or a waste of time and $ ?

hammer33

No takers on the sunflowers? What about corn? Scatter some corn seed when putting in the food plot mix. Should get up 2-3 feet before it frosts off providing some vertical/ visual screening. Basically looking to make the deer feel less like they are standing in the middle of a parking lot.

44 mag

Sorry I can't help. I have never tried either before. Both my plots are long and narrow, 50 yards wide at the widest part. I do think this helps the deer feel more secure.

JCDEERMAN

Those are predominantly summer crops. I've never planted them in the fall. I do know that the deer will really go after the sunflowers - they love them. I planted some sunflowers this spring and I think the 50 lb bag I bought was around $32, so you could always try it and see what happens - doesn't cost much. It will grow and I don't know how tall it will get, but if anything, it will be food for the critters.

A thought on next spring - plant some corn, sunflowers or sorghum (or a mixture of them) in a few strips in your plots and leave them all summer and throughout fall and plant your normal food plots around those strips.

hatch

I mix sunflowers in with my fall plots. The deer really like them in September and October when they are tender. I'm not really using them for cover, but more for variety to add to the plot when my oats and winter peas are growing. I also steal some bird seed out of my wife's feeders and add that to the mix as well.

Last edited:

hammer33

Thanks for the replies. I may try a mix next year. Past couple seasons I have let the field grow up and bush hogged strips through it. Deer were just as spooky if not more than when the whole field was mowed. Going to mow it and broadcast winter wheat into the corners where deer come through. The hope is that they linger and nibble long enough to get a good look at them and line up a shot.

Latest posts