summer yote hunting

bobthebowhunter

How many of yall hunt the yotes in the warmer months. I was thinking it would be neat to try calling with a fawn bleet/distress about the time the fawns start hitting the ground. I don't much like ticks, snakes, and heat, but I might give it a try. What do yall think??

cecil30-30

I tried it once in the summer,too many ticks for me.I tried the fawn in distress call also,and all I ended up calling in was 2 big momma does that was looking for a fight..LOL But I really dind't give it a real big effort, once I saw I was covered in ticks,that pretty much ended my summer coyote hunting season..LOL

1 good shot

use your turkey call along the creeks at sunrise or sunset the yotes know turkey like to roost close to water and it seem to really work for me as for the ticks i spray my neck and tape up my sleeves and pants legs as for the snakes i usually hunt out of my deer stands

buckdead

I used to always see yotes out during the day in the summer after a big thunder storm. I guess they where lookin for little birds and squirrels that get blown out of the trees from the strong winds :confused:
Im not a serious yote hunter, but I would think after a big t-storm would be the time to go.

redblood

I live and breath yote hunting and have for a long time, but will not hunt them in the summer. A few yrs ago a buddy i started yote hunting with wanted to go in june on a farm he purchased so we went. 5 minutes into the first set we called in a ratty, shed out 20lb female loaded down with milk. We didnt shoot. She spooked at 30 yrds and ran across the field. 4 little pups followed her trail from the woods. I only hunt them when the air is cold and the fur is thick.

stik

redblood said:
I live and breath yote hunting and have for a long time, but will not hunt them in the summer. A few yrs ago a buddy i started yote hunting with wanted to go in june on a farm he purchased so we went. 5 minutes into the first set we called in a ratty, shed out 20lb female loaded down with milk. We didnt shoot. She spooked at 30 yrds and ran across the field. 4 little pups followed her trail from the woods. I only hunt them when the air is cold and the fur is thick.

shoulda shot her and the ^&*%*& pups too!!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have always found them hard to call in during the summer.
I figure it is because they got so much easy stuff to eat.

MRUTVOL

If you can stand the heat Summer yote hunting can actually be better than winter hunting. Although I do not do it like I used to years ago I am sure they are just as likely to respond now as they did then. I never really had much of a bug problem because I sprayed down good with repellent. If the population of yotes is there in numbers then freshly cut hayfields are a hot spot in the summer. They will frequent these fields looking for prey that may have been killed during the haying process. They will stay close by in fence rows or thickets close to the field. Early morning and late in the day is best although I have called them up in the middle of the day in 90 degree weather. If they have young they are always looking for an easy meal to feed them. In late summer you could see multiple yotes in family groups in the field at once. I had 5 one morning come accross at me in one group and was able to kill 4 of them. You have to hunt them kind of like deer in the sense they have super keen smell,hearing,and sight and the older ones are much more wary than the yearlings. I use a method that some people frown on that are hung up on the ethics thing. When I have multiple yotes coming in I will try to break one down by shooting him in the flanks,usually the back one in the group,this causes him to whale and yep something terrible,but it will cause the others to hold up enough to get off a couple more shots . I have had them even turn and go back to the wounded yote. A former army sniper gave me that idea saying it was a tactic used in war. It has worked on numerous occasions for me. I take both a rifle and shot gun. They can bust out right in front of you and the shotgun works great for those times.
There is a reason there is a year round season on them. They are a nuisance and cause local farmers a lot of grief especially when calves are being dropped. You can get into property to hunt coyotes that people would not let you hunt anything else. I had farmers who would call me to let me know when they were cutting hay so I could be there. The southern yotes fur is of little value even in their prime so do not think you will get rich selling their fur. We used to just save their tales and trash the rest. Most have a foul odor from feeding on dead prey and rolling in it . They can be rank! They are here to stay so do not worry about killing them out cause they are a survivor,more will move in. The only good yote is a dead yote! Good Luck !

redblood

Their fur can command good prices if the color is right. I have taken a black one each of the last 2 years. They are easy in the summer, but they are just too nasty to mess with unless they are causong a major problems to livestock and I do not know any farmer who has calves dropping during the summer months. I am familiar with flanking, but that seems both barbaric and pointless. If you can shoot him in the flanks, you can shoot him the chest.

MRUTVOL

redblood said:
Their fur can command good prices if the color is right. I have taken a black one each of the last 2 years. They are easy in the summer, but they are just too nasty to mess with unless they are causong a major problems to livestock and I do not know any farmer who has calves dropping during the summer months. I am familiar with flanking, but that seems both barbaric and pointless. If you can shoot him in the flanks, you can shoot him the chest.

Yes the blacks and red phases can bring good money but only in the taxidermy world it's not the fur but the colors that brings the $$$. The more different the look the better the bucks. I seen a red yote from New York state bring $500 a few years back on Ebay and that was just the hide. I have been in it for 40 years and have done them from all over the country so your not going to educate me much on that. Go to a fur sale and see what most southern yotes bring,not even worth skinning them. The best quality come from up North . Black yotes used to be very rare but have become more common in the last few years. I am personally more fond of the red color phases my self.
Redblood you got a lot to learn and not much your going to enlighten me on about coyotes. Hunted them long before anybody around these parts even thought about hunting them for sport. What makes you think that not having calves in the summer makes their cruel deeds any less annoying. You ever seen yotes eating on a live calf while being born? I have ,seen 3 one morning working on one while the mother bawled because she could not stop them while she was laying there giving birth. I had a coon hound nearly killed one night because a pack attacked her and nearly ripped her guts out before we could get to her. My best friend had his datsun dog get taken by 2 yotes in his front yard one night after letting it out to use the bathroom. Found it next morning half eaten up. Yotes are scavengers and look for easy meals if available. Some how the flanking method does not seem so cruel to me. It is a deliberate method not an accident and when I use it it is for quantity kills and not for some ethics class it is far from "pointless". You act like a coyote is come kind of treasure to have . Like I said there is a reason why there is a year round season and it is not because of the sport but because they want them controlled as much as possible which is pretty much a hopeless adventure,cause they are here to stay. We took 30 off one farm one year and there were just about as many the next year running around as were the year before.
I attached some pics of some alpha yotes that I have done of varying color phases.

DSC00019_edited-3.jpg

DSC00028_edited.jpg

DSC00021_edited-1.jpg

DSC00043_edited.jpg

DSC00107_edited.jpg

DSC00051_edited-2.jpg

DSC00012_edited.jpg

DSC00015_edited.jpg

redblood

Well first let me say that you do a good job mounting them. If you hunting them for 40 years you were doing it 6 yrs before I was born. My goal isn't to educate to you in calling and killing coyotes, which would impossible with age/experience. I also realize summer dogs have little or no value, just saying that some when prime have some value. I am certainly not an activist for the coyote, just believe all animals need to be harvested as cleanly as possible regardless of what niche they fill in our ecosystem.

MRUTVOL

redblood said:
Well first let me say that you do a good job mounting them. If you hunting them for 40 years you were doing it 6 yrs before I was born. My goal isn't to educate to you in calling and killing coyotes, which would impossible with age/experience. I also realize summer dogs have little or no value, just saying that some when prime have some value. I am certainly not an activist for the coyote, just believe all animals need to be harvested as cleanly as possible regardless of what niche they fill in our ecosystem.

I can agree with that. :) In reality as long as your killing coyotes that is a good thing just have different ideas on how we do it. I have been doing the taxidermy thing for 40 years but hunting coyotes about 30 . When I was young like you in my late 20s and 30s I was all gungho on hunting them but as I have gotten the later years I just do not get that fired up anymore. I will go on occasions when somebody wants to give it a try but I will leave it to the younger crowd like you. Those hills in Lincoln county seem to get bigger evry year now. I prefer the river bottoms along the Elk river as for the ease of the hunt. Add another 22 years to your life and you might have that same lack of drive...kinda like sex....it aint what it used to be! :whistle: Good luck hunting however you do it! Only good yote is a dead yote...IMO :mad:

MRUTVOL

No they came from various places up North. The black one and the bright red on came from upper New York State and the heavy white furred one came from Montana and the others from Idaho and Michigan. They are the big alpha yotes with thick fur and a more blockhead look. The yotes here are somewhat smaller and less furred for the most part although I have on occasion gotten some nice alphas from this area but they are few and far between. I used to think that the yotes around here had thick fur until I got ahold of some of their Northern cousins and the difference is like night and day size and quality wise. I get them from hunters and trappers and mount them up to sell. The resting type pose is the best selling ones simply because they are easier on the eye so to speak and can be placed in rustic type areas laying in front of a fireplace or on a couch or where ever they like. Kinda look like the family pet and the wives are more tolerent of them than one mounted up all snarling and vicious looking. :D Here is a black/silver one I got from here in TN in the Jamestown area that was pretty nice.

hpqscan0001-2.jpg

redblood

Mrutvol- are you still mounting them. I did a pedestal mount on one and had the hide tanned on the other black phase. I have 2 big red alphas and silvery alpha in the freezer. I may be interested in you mounting one or 2 of them.

Latest posts