Got to go hunting with a forum member today!

Atchman2

Greetings all!

I got to go hunting with a forum member today Tenntrapper. We had a great time chasing squirrels on TVA land. What was funny was that I thought he and his daughter were bringing .22s and I wanted to back them up. Turns out his daughter cancelled and we both showed up with shotguns! I only had six shells so I wasn't about taking imprecise shots. The leaves were THICK! No way a .22 or my air rifles would have worked. The squirrels were way too high and there were way too many leaves. We managed to get two squirrels, but only recovered one. No big deal as we had a great time and I learned a lot from him.

I had my .22 pistol but it was as useless as having a rifle. The next time, I'm going to take FAR less stuff, just my vest and some shells. We had to use a boat to get to the property and the jackets felt good then. About 5 minutes into walking I was shedding layers like a snake! 🤪

Can't wait to go again later in the year with Tenntrapper. Next time I can probably just take a rifle or borrow my friend's .22 and .410 gun. He also showed me some good deer hunting areas. Like most TVA land you need a boat to get there. It isn't the boat that is a problem it is how cold the ride is! 😁

He helped me out and I managed to find some squirrel appropriate ammo for my old Remington 1148 shotgun. It was my grandfather's and is probably over 70 years old. I've killed BUNCHES of squirrels with it! I also carried my Uncle Richard's .22 pistol which I'm certain is over 50 years old. It was all about nostalgia and fun! :D

Tenntrapper

Yep, had a great time yesterday. Give it a few more weeks for the leaves to come down, and that place is a gold mine for squirrel. Glad you were able to get some ammo...I thought I had seen some there. Maybe next time we can get a couple more to go with us...really thin them boogers out.
As I said...had a great time and really look forward to doing it again. Still feel like crap this morning, but I guess that's just part of it. 😂

Latest posts