stupid wind question

scn

No, actually it is a GREAT question and one that a deer hunter should try to get an answer to in the initial plotting and planning stages.

The NWS should have some data for your area for the deer season time of year.

On the property I hunt north of TN, it is very rare to get any type of an east wind. If it is a warm spell, the winds are S-SW. If I luck into a cool snap, the winds generally are from the NW.

Sometimes that keeps me out of some great trees, but I've learned the hard way that it is almost impossible to beat the wind.

BSK

scn said:
If it is a warm spell, the winds are S-SW. If I luck into a cool snap, the winds generally are from the NW.

What scn wrote. These are the predominant winds for TN in October and November. During warm spells, SW. During cool spells, NW.

de novo

Last year was the year of the east wind (which is rare) where I hunt. Of course most of my stands were not set up for such a wind.

BSK

de novo said:
Last year was the year of the east wind (which is rare) where I hunt. Of course most of my stands were not set up for such a wind.

It is often the case during the fall months that a particular weather patterns sets in and predominates the entire season. In 2011, when we experienced a very warn October and November, strong south and southwest winds seemed to occur 90% of the time. Eventually, you run out of set-ups for a particular wind direction.

Headhunter

I try to hunt the wind to some extent. but I have killed many deer and bucks that came from dead downwind of me and my setup and many times I was on the ground. I do not use carbon clothing or whatever and very little cover scent. I think completely avoiding an area just because of the wind is wrong, and to me it is a case by case call. Also, no matter how many deer I have seen travel a particular route, many times a deer (and many times it is a buck) will travel somewhere that I would have almost swore a deer would never come from that direction or walked where it did and many times if I had avoided that stand becuase of the wind (the way the deer "always" come from will be downwind so I am not hunting there) when I hunt a deer comes in from the upwind direction and I either get to watch deer or get a chance to kill a deer that I want to kill.

One of my best bucks, no one would hunt there because of the wind and the bucks "always" came in from the wrong direction. It was covered up in fresh sign, so I said ok, I will hunt it. All the deer that morning came in from a completely different direction and I killed a great 8 pointer. I avoid areas at times but I believe to many people try to out think the deer when they just need to hunt.

I cannot even begin to count the times also that I have thought I had the "perfect" wind, hunted, knowing where the deer traveled or came from, only to have the deer come in from a comepletely different direction and bust me because the "perfect" was the WRONG wind.

MattR

Last year I went to Cheatham Wma and had one bust me at 100 yards. He wasn't downwind of me either. But then I can go hunting back in east tn and not even worry about scent too much and have them walk 20 yds from me. So I agree with the pressure of the deer herd being a big factor.

GreyGoose

scn said:
No, actually it is a GREAT question and one that a deer hunter should try to get an answer to in the initial plotting and planning stages.

The NWS should have some data for your area for the deer season time of year.

On the property I hunt north of TN, it is very rare to get any type of an east wind. If it is a warm spell, the winds are S-SW. If I luck into a cool snap, the winds generally are from the NW.

Sometimes that keeps me out of some great trees, but I've learned the hard way that it is almost impossible to beat the wind.
the only dumb question is one not asked

JCDEERMAN

:D I don't think any question about the wind is dumb. In fact, I think it is more of a dumb or stubborn hunter playing the wind. I am stubborn in general :D . I am very smart hunting the wind. Though, I am the most stubborn hunter out there when the wind shifts to the total opposite direction as it is supposed to blow. It is so hard to just get down and move. If fact, I only move mid-morning about 25% of the time. And that 25% is when I am hunting my prime spots

Latest posts