Stock comb, cheek weld, and eye alignment

TN Song Dog

Does anyone else have difficulty getting a good cheek weld along with good eye alignment with their scope on a standard hunting stock? Even with a typical 3x9 scope and medium rings, I feel I must raise or tilt my head unnaturally to be able to see through scope. Am I doing something wrong? Seems like I end up adding a cheek pad to most rifles, but I don't see a lot of other people doing this (not majority)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DaveB

Re: Stock comb, cheek weld, and eye alignment

I always try low rings and I hate monte-carlo-less stocks.

Those scopes with short eye relief compound the alignment issue.

so bad cheek weld, neck stretched to get your eye close, rings at a bad level, all make for miserable shooting.

The only solution I know of is to practice practice practice.

You got what you got, make it work.

jlanecr500

Andy S.":3h1scczl said:
jlanecr500":3h1scczl said:
They are available in different thicknesses............
Do you prefer 1/8" or 3/8"?

I have one in 5/8" and another in 3/8" . They are super soft so always go a little thicker than you think. If you think 3/8" is enough, my advice is to find some foam rubber like memory foam mattress and cut a piece 3/8" thick. Place it on the stock and see how it works for you. Then order the appropriate pad. My feeling is that the 1/8" pad does nothing more than make your stock grippy and a warm place to rest your cheek.

mr.big

a real wood 700 BDL with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold mounted about 1/4" off the bbl fits me like a glove,,

markwondi

2-Step Enabled

A standard hunting stock needs a cheek riser for most scopes but like you mentioned, most don't add one. The one JLANE posted are pretty nice and would be a good investment.

Latest posts