Still carrying

knightrider

Seems to be getting later over the last ten years best rut action is mid december till its over, as far north east tn as you can get on the ky va border , 8 cameras 13000 pics in last three weeks and only two fawns on the ground, all other does still carrying as of 7-30-21
A80BB88F-7855-441A-8795-F7D9BE03F5AE.jpeg
EB33C23E-58E2-4754-A125-A2C940D72DAE.jpeg

BSK

First, localized pockets of does can have a very different estrus timing than doe groups just a few miles away. For as long as I've had my property the local doe groups go into estrus a week to 10 days earlier than doe groups just a few miles away.

Second, while studying deer in areas with very poor herd dynamics (poor buck age structure and unbalanced sex ratio), we found populations with breeding timing strung out over 90 days or more.

redblood

It's not unheard for does to still be carrying in early bow season. My dad killed one many many years ago and found a unborn fawn inside. He felt bad and had the fawn mounted. Beautiful little deer
I cant bring myself to shoot an early season doe, just because she may have one inside or much more likely a couple depending on her somewhere

knightrider

There is one around my house about to pop and two others with twins and triplets. I don't shoot does till late season .
Wish we had that option, all we get is one doe with a rifle. So if we need to thin does only choice we have is archery and two with a muzzle loader, since they are carrying fawns so late archery doe killing may be a no go on my place this year

DeerCamp

I cant bring myself to shoot an early season doe, just because she may have one inside or much more likely a couple depending on her somewhere
Yep.

It doesn't bother me to shoot one late season and find an embryo (I don't like it, though)

But I don't like to shoot does early season - Those fawns are still young and learning how to avoid predators!

Latest posts