Sticks verses steps

bow_vol

I primarily hunt from lock-on type stands and have used both the sticks and screw-in steps. If you have a moderately straight tree the steps go together easy and are less labor-intensive to use and probably safer. However, they are heavy, bulky, and sometimes a pain to carry long distances especially if you have to go through some thick stuff. Steps are great for mobility and allow you to get in some trees that the sticks won't - but in my opinion they are more dangerous as you try to hang on with one hand and screw in the steps with the other.

Big J

Gonna stick with the Sticks! Screw in steps seem dangerous to me as well. Won't use them!

jakeway

I've had screw-in steps failbefore; fortunately they were the ones near the bottom of the tree so I didn't get hurt.

I like stick ladders, though I prefer the styly that are 3' independant ones; they can be moved slightly to work on crooked trunks or to get around branches. Slightly easier and lighter to carry, especially the aluminum ones.

bowfire

I USE STICKS UNTIL I'M SURE THE SPOTS WORTH THE TROUBLE AND LABOR OF SCREWING IN THE STEPS. STEPS ARE GREAT IF YOU SPACE THEM PROPERLY AND GENERALLY QUIETER. MY STICKS TEND TO MAKE A LITTLE NOISE IN COLD WEATHER. AS MENTIONED EARLIER, TREE NEEDS TO BE STRAIGHT FOR STICKS.

bow_vol

Personally I don't see that screw-ins are permanently damaging to trees. I've never seen a tree killed by screw-in steps, and in the past I've hunted the same tree for years. I do understand why some properties and areas don't allow them though - I'd hate to see what one would do to a saw blade !!!

archer19

have used both types. the sticks are fine. but they can get slick during wet and cold weather. have used screw in steps for nearly 20 yrs. only had one too break and there was a recall on that batch that i wasn't aware of. primarily use the ameristep step up. good tracktion all weather. never had a problem one.
personally, i vote screw in steps.

BoonerBucks

Hang ons and steps are too scary for me. I go with my climber or a ladder. They are good for areas without straight trees though. I have a couple places that they would be good for, but just too scary for me.

Arse

Just put up a stand today using the Gorilla climbing sticks -- four independent sections that don't connect to each other. They are rock-solid compared to the ladder type, plus you can go higher with them because you can space them apart.

They will be my climbing system of choice from now on.

Southpaw

bow_vol said:
Personally I don't see that screw-ins are permanently damaging to trees. I've never seen a tree killed by screw-in steps, and in the past I've hunted the same tree for years. I do understand why some properties and areas don't allow them though - I'd hate to see what one would do to a saw blade !!!

They may not kill the tree, but they will do very serious damage to the log. There will be a blemish in the wood at every step. This damage is enough to turn a high dollar veneer log into a less valuable rough lumber log.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
One other problem with the screw in steps. When they are removed they leave a wound in the tree that lets insects and decay start killing the tree. It won't happen over night but sooner or later it will die.

Radar

I like my Lone Wolf sticks much more than the screw in steps I used for years . Gorilla makes some good climbing sticks , but they are a little heavier than the Lone Wolf sticks .

Latest posts