Steelhead slugs

Tenntrapper

Besides killing car engines, what would you use these for?
I bought a couple boxes earlier in the year. My intent was to do a penetration test, but have since lost interest.
Would you hunt with them? Are they even legal to hunt with in TN?
Anyone with ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210101-095335__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210101-095335__01.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 101

Hunter 257W

I'd say that technically they are illegal to hunt with in Tennessee because they are non-expanding and would be considered the same as full metal jacket bullets, which are not allowed for hunting. BUT, speaking practically, a flat nosed 69 or 70 caliber bullet doesn't need to expand one bit to knock the snot out of a deer and I would fully trust them to put a deer down pronto. I also doubt a game warden would say anything about them unless a hunter started talking about the fact that they were steel and didn't expand. The warden would most likely see a big flat nose slug and never even think another thought about the ammo if the hunter didn't.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
The prohibition of full metal jacketed ammunition noted in the TWRA hunting guide only references rifles and handguns and in the table in the guide, it is only mentioned with regard to centerfire ammunition. Also, "Rifles or handguns with full metal jacketed ammunitions" are noted in the list of prohibited use or possession items.

The shotgun reference says "single solid ball or slug" for deer. That could change if TWRA decides it is an issue and needs to be addressed. I'd guess that the TWRA would not want to restrict their use as they are better for the environment, would be deadly on deer, and have limited range compared to rifles.

I wonder if the steel slugs would be better in case a twig or small branch gets in the way of a shot. They are supposedly more accurate than many lead slugs but I don't know.

Last edited:

DeerCamp

I'd say that technically they are illegal to hunt with in Tennessee because they are non-expanding and would be considered the same as full metal jacket bullets, which are not allowed for hunting. BUT, speaking practically, a flat nosed 69 or 70 caliber bullet doesn't need to expand one bit to knock the snot out of a deer and I would fully trust them to put a deer down pronto. I also doubt a game warden would say anything about them unless a hunter started talking about the fact that they were steel and didn't expand. The warden would most likely see a big flat nose slug and never even think another thought about the ammo if the hunter didn't.
Posted earlier. My brother shot a doe this year (out of state) with a 338 Lapua Magnum FMJ.

Nearly 5,000LB muzzle KE.

Shot distance was 404 yards. The doe acted like she had been hit by a train. Think she was dead before she hit the ground. It looked like that jackass skit where the giant flour covered hand hits the unsuspecting person as they walk through the door.

I agree... that much KE would end the hunt immediately.

Hunter 257W

Having shot a number of deer with cast bullets with their limited velocity, similar to a shotgun slug, I've learned that it's a whole different ballgame compared to high velocity rifle bullets. The shape of the nose or meplate makes a huge difference in killing power. A big flat nose kills all out of proportion to what you'd expect at low velocity. My 200 grain 35 caliber cast bullet fired from the 35 Remington at 1900 ft/sec drops deer fast and sounds like a cannon ball hitting them. This 12 gauge slug has a far greater meplate area than does that 35 caliber bullet. It don't need to expand one bit to be far larger than any rifle bullet. They would drop a deer fast.

Latest posts