Stands Review

Redfred16

I bought 2 new tree stands this summer and finally hung them today.
I just wanted other to know how they are, just in case they are shopping for internet deals like I was.

First, I bought a Big Dog Mastiff XL, with the gun rail. It went together king of odd, with no real seating, just a pad with webbing that runs under the arms. Well after hanging it, it's crap. It's really noisy and the gun rail sits way to low to use. One of the two next weekends I'm going to have to climb up and remove it. It makes it hard to bow hunt out of the stand, to fold the seat up the entire gun rail moves even when locked back to start. I do not recommend this hang on stand.

Then I also bought the Guide Gear 30"x36" XL. This stand is nice. It's solid construction and sits well. If I had any issues with it, it would be that both straps to hang it are racheting straps and its not easy to hold a stand in a tree while threading some web strap through the mechanism. Otherwise a really nice stand.

I got both from Sportsmans Guide and they shipped them well and my issue with the Big Dog stand is none of their fault.

Redfred16

I left a few Ameristep ladder stands back in WI for my friends, they always served me well as far as ladder stands go.

I've never used a climber, so can'comment on them.

I like hang-ons and these seemed to fit the bill as to what I wanted. I wanted one with a gun rail, since I'd never gun hunted from a tree before and wanted a big platform for when I bow hunted out of them. They seemed like a good price and both had decent reviews.

I just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in on how they really are.

TheLBLman

I hunt relatively little from ladder stands, so I'm not your best critiquer of ladder stands. My single biggest issue with ladder stands is most will make a metallic noise at some point, which will unknowingly cost you opportunities at older deer. My other issue is for most set-ups, I'd like to be higher than most ladder stands.

In the past, I did most of my hunting from hang-on stands. It's a great tactical plan for older deer, but at some point, I got tired of keeping up and maintaining them all.

For hunting older deer, the single best method for me is now doing most of my hunting from a portable climber. If you'll do most of your hunting like this, you can get VERY GOOD at climbing quietly, climbing/descending quietly & quickly.

That said, I continue to do some hunting via other methods, including ladder stands and a couple hang-ons.

nodog

Big dog Mastiff. Just shows you can't judge a stand by it's name, sounds powerful.

Thanks for the heads up.

DeerKiller2012

Bought a new summit Titan ready to try it out ! Bought a ok man steel lock on last year and liked it pretty well. Bought a big game Xl on sale at academy this spring going to try it this year. Like the ol man lock on and also like the API baby grand lock ons their nice also !

thetoolman

Poleaxe said:
Jarred525 said:
For comfort, you cant beat millennium. But get your checkbook out :)

Sure wish they would come out with a climber. They are the most comfortable.

I actually asked about this on their website a few months back and got a response from the president of their parent company Hunting Solutions Inc.
"I cannot reveal the plans of our new products but keep watching our
website.
Check out the Olman Drone if you are looking at climbers."

Started looking and apparently the same people own run both companies. I have never been in an Ol' Man treestand but may have to look into it. Personally the M100 is the best stand I have ever hunted out of other than a shooting house. LOL

BAMA BOW MERKER

I got the Ol Man Drone as a Christmas present last year. One of my favorites of all time! It is awesome- light, comfortable, and adjustable in the tree! Can't wait to put it the test of an entire season.

Latest posts