Stalking Deer

Austin95

Every time I go and try to stalk deer it makes me mad! I usually know the round about area I think I'll see some and sure enough every time I walk my quietest and eyes peeled and they end up seeing me first! I always see them after they see me and we end up staring at each other for 10 minutes until it runs away haha and its funny when im in a stand I usually pass up most does and wait for bucks but when I am stalking I am out to get anything that moves just because I would be proud to kill something by stalking it! This happen to anyone else?

Crosshairy

The problem is usually that people are less "patient" than deer, which means a hunter will move more often. Most hunters can't stand thinking that they need to "get over there, where the deer are", so they allow themselves to move too quickly.

Deer survive by moving less and watching more (aside from the seeking/chasing phases of the rut).

On top of all that, some places just don't lend themselves to stalk/still hunting due to limited visibility. The ability to see a wide range of colors and detect patterns (like the horizontal line of a deer's back) are really your only major sensory advantages over a deer - their senses are better in every other respect. If you cannot use those to your advantage, then you are relying more on luck.

Slowing down so to increase the odds that they move first (revealing themselves) is pretty much your only option, assuming you are already walking into the wind.

Shed Hunter

Both deer I killed this year where while i was on my feet. The first was a young doe. Second was a big 3.5 year old six point. I actually prefer to be on the ground moving.. Its a lot more fun to me, but I will sit most times simply due to success being more likely. I've snuck up on plenty, but I've had some see me too.

Biggest thing is wind.. Deer rely on their nose more than anything.. They will smell you very quickly. Walk where the wind is in your favor. Second is not moving too much and moving the right way when you do advance. I tend to walk in shadows and hide behind EVERY tree I walk up too for at least a minute. When I find a good tree to lean against I'll stay there for a little longer. You also are going to have to be quiet. Deer hear about the same as we do, but they can pin point you and will sneak off if they feel threatened (they usually do). I prefer to be on my feet in the rain.. It's quite and usually cloudy so you have lots of darkness to hide in.

Columbia Scott

I think the best way is to jump them up, then head em' off at the pass. I jumped a big 9 point and his doe Thanksgiving day as I walked away from my stand. They didn't run so much as trotted. I came out very slowly, glanced over a grown up field and saw a doe staring at me. I continued walking and the 9 point came into view. He stared at me for a few seconds and I sent one downrange. He went all of 15 feet and dropped.

HuntFish714

Ya, ive got a crazy tip for u, walk towards them. A lot of times theyll just watch. I like to think as if they think we dont see them so thsy stay still and observe. Walk either directly towards them for in the general direction for a shot and preo your weapon in the process. Ive shot a few deer this way with my bow. It works with mule deer anyway and I read it in a whitetail magazine. Just be ready to shoot right when u stop.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Crosshairy said:
The problem is usually that people are less "patient" than deer, which means a hunter will move more often. Most hunters can't stand thinking that they need to "get over there, where the deer are", so they allow themselves to move too quickly.

Deer survive by moving less and watching more (aside from the seeking/chasing phases of the rut).

On top of all that, some places just don't lend themselves to stalk/still hunting due to limited visibility. The ability to see a wide range of colors and detect patterns (like the horizontal line of a deer's back) are really your only major sensory advantages over a deer - their senses are better in every other respect. If you cannot use those to your advantage, then you are relying more on luck.

Slowing down so to increase the odds that they move first (revealing themselves) is pretty much your only option, assuming you are already walking into the wind.

^^^^^ This

TNCharlie

And remember this. The deer are MUCH more motivated to detect and avoid you than you are to see them. Their life is at stake.

I commented once to my fianc�e about how skittish deer are and how they are constantly looking about nervously. They are curious but very cautious. Her reply: "You would be nervous, too, if everything in the woods wanted to eat you or *#!k you."

She makes a valid point.

huvrman

I took a young 8 point two weeks ago. I'd seen movement about 70 yards up the trail, then it just disappeared. As I was stalking up the trail looking for it, I walked within 10 yards of it. It was in a thicket to my left, with its head down. Not sure if it saw me and was trying to let me walk by, or if it was just busy with the rubs and scrapes in the area and we just happened to see each other at the same time. In any event, I got the better end of the deal and he ended up just standing there looking at me as I let the 30.06 go.

Latest posts