Speaking of blood trails LOL

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
This is one from several years ago.
I have posted it before but thought I would again, just because. LOL

I knew the chance of getting a shot was gonna be good that morning but I also knew it would be in very thick stuff.
.300 win mag
Pretty sure I went through a sapling before hitting the deer.
This was my view of the blood trail.
Deer was laying beside the log at the end of the blood in the second picture. :D

bloodtrail1.jpg

bloodtrail2.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Actually surprised it traveled that far
I shot one in the heart one morning, on purpose, and the blood trail literally looked like you were slowly pouring it out of a bucket.
She ran 150 yards up a bluff that was extremely hard to walk up without holding on to saplings.
When she got to the logging road she turned left, and headed directly towards me.
She ran 100 yards before hitting a tree head on and dropping 20 yards from my stand.
All that with her heart turned to mush.
Amazing animals for sure.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
This is one from several years ago.
I have posted it before but thought I would again, just because. LOL

I knew the chance of getting a shot was gonna be good that morning but I also knew it would be in very thick stuff.
.300 win mag
Pretty sure I went through a sapling before hitting the deer.
This was my view of the blood trail.
Deer was laying beside the log at the end of the blood in the second picture. :D

View attachment 148951

View attachment 148952
Lol
Love no tracking required (NTR)

BSK

All that with her heart turned to mush.
Amazing animals for sure.
Normally, I can tell a heart-shot deer because they blast off like they have a rocket up their butt and go full tilt until dropping dead from blood loss. In fact, because of that full-speed run, they often go farther than double-lung hit deer. But last year, we had two odd experiences with heart shot deer during muzzleloader. One was a 3 1/2 year-old 10-point that was heart shot, yet all he did was bolt for about 15 yards off the top of the narrow ridge-top he was crossing at the time, and then he stopped and just walked along the ridge-side paralleling the terrain for about 30 seconds. Hunter couldn't get a second shot as the buck was just ambling along, but saw the buck suddenly drop and slide another 30 yards down the steep hillside. Buck was shot right through the heart with a 50 caliber MaxiBall. He lived, and just walked along like nothing had happened for at least 30 seconds, and probably a little longer.

Second occurred in almost the exact same location. Mature buck crossing the ridge-top and I hit him as he was just starting to drop over the other side. He bolts down the steep hill. I'm sure I made a good hit, so I stand up to reload from a quick-loader. I've only got half the powder down the barrel when I hear a noise, look up, and see the buck walking back up the hill straight towards me. He gets 20 yards in front of me and just stops, staring back towards where he had been when I hit him. His head is turned 90-degrees from me but I know he will see me if I move. So we both stand there unmoving for about 15-20 seconds. Then without a shake or quiver, he just tips over like a falling tree and lands on his side, dead as a doornail. When gutting him, I found a 50 caliber hole right through the center of his heart I could put my thumb through. For the life of me, I have no idea how - physiologically - a deer could live for 35-40 seconds with a thumb-sized hole right through the center of his heart.

backyardtndeer

Looks like the trail from one I shot in 2010. Last one I killed with the TC black diamond, 240 grain xtp mag. Looked like someone dumped buckets of red paint for the 35 to 40 yards that he ran.

Latest posts