Soy beans

J bird

One of the farms I hunt is planted in soy beans which are still green. Probably the worst case of crop damage I have ever seen. I'm certain the farmers can't harvest more than 25% of what they planted. Anyway time for the question. Tons of deer are eating in the feilds every evening - two of which are shooter bucks. I've seen the bucks twice and they were near the same spot both times. The neighbors, who don't hunt, are seeing them as well. Both bucks are still in velvet as of 9/14/07. Do you think those bucks will migrate to their fall range before the beans turn? Or when they loose their velvet? Or is there a good chance of them still being in the beans on the opener? Thanks for your opinions in advance!

JohnnyDollar

J bird I think the deer will eat the beans mainly at night and will eat on the acorns and browse in the mornings comming back from the beans. In the evening the I think the deer will be feeding towards the beans.

treehanger27

I have a buddy in the same situation. We were takling and the only thing we could come up with is you just got to hunt and like sirhuntsalot said hunt it in the afternoon. Good luck

BSK

From what I've seen, antler velvet shedding appears to be the trigger to move to a fall range, IF that bucks is going to move. Most don't.

JThuntsalot

I am have a stand in a tight corner of a soy bean field it will be geen on opening day this saturday and I will only hunt this stand in the afternoons. Put I have 2 shooters that is using this corner almost every afternoon. As long as the beans stay green they will be in there

J bird

I really like the replies! :) I was in this situation a few years ago, 2000 I think. Those bucks hung around till opening day. My cousin actually killed one of them, 7 point 16 1/2" spread, in December. He was still on the 160 acre farm I watched him on all summer.

I already set stands up to hunt these deer saturday evening. No big trees till about 20 yards off the field edge. I took my 8 foot tripod stand and tucked it into the scrub brush along the field edge. It's like sitting in a birds nest. I obtained permission to park at the neighbors house which gave the the perfect way to access my stand without bumping deer - coming or going. It's been a long time since I had this feeling about opening day.

J bird

Well, here's the bean field buck. Drove in and got a few seconds worth of video this evening. Three shooter bucks in the field but I've really got my heart set on this one. Velvet is gone and he's still in the beans. I sure hope nothing changes before Saturday evening. Could be a great day. Tight and tall with some daggers for eye guards. I'm guessing 143" gross score. Better than I thought.
Bean_field_buck_001.jpg

Bean_field_buck_002.jpg

.300 WSM

You really need to give him one more year to mature.... Yeah right! Great looking deer, a for sure trophy. Good luck hunting him.

Latest posts