Have any of you ever used eagle seed soybeans?

MickThompson

Great stuff if you can get them over your knees. I've grown them chest high in lower deer density areas then watched the deer eat them off to a nub in late summer. I wouldn't recommend planting them in a field less than 2 acres, with 3+ being better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tn droptine

I had about 4 acres planted about five years ago - unfortunately with my high deer numbers they never got above six or seven inches tall. That being said, they are hardy - even with the heavy browse pressure they still continued to put on new growth where regular AG beans would have just died. I would get up early in the morning in the summer and watch a herd of 12 deer come in the field and just walk up and down the rows munching away.

chebuck

I did a 4 acre test last year. 2 acres of eagle and 2 acres of ag beans. The eagle beans definitely put on more forage but didn't put on beans. It would depend on field size and crops in area if it is worth planting the eagle beans. For my 4 acre field I think I preferred the ag beans. After the first of November all the deer were using the ag bean side and I think they put enough forage in my area to keep up.

Jmed

Ive had great results with eagles. But I wont put them in the ground without putting a dual perimeter hot wire around them. It wont keep all the deer out but it will keep most. Once it gets waste deep, you can drop the wire because that stuff puts on some foliage, and unlike the other post, mine put out tons of beans. We use the game keeper mix

infoman jr.

We planted our 5-acre field with it 3 years ago. It grew very tall, and the turkeys loved it through the spring. We had so much food left over, we switched to ag beans. They last through the spring as well, so we couldn't justify the extra cost of Eagle Beans in our particular application.

Grnwing

They put out great forage, my plot is about 5ft tall and started flowering. I really like them being RR and being able to spray the early competition weeds and allow them to get established. I did agbeans before and they wouldn't handle the browse pressure like the Eagle beans and I don't like planting over 2 acre plots. I also like having plenty of late season food when surrounding properties are depending on wheat and turnips. Plus the spring turkeys love them, makes for a great year round food source.

infoman jr.

One thing I thought of as I was hunting a couple weeks ago is shot opportunities in standing beans. Back when we were planting Eagle, there's no way we could've seen a deer's vitals once they got out into the beans. Granted there is less foliage on ag beans, but if you're planning on hunting over them, it's something to consider.

c6562a9846a2fefa47e14386a24af0be.jpg

def498ed65187f0121b996da98700f28.png

Farm manager

Just a note to those of you that are successful with growing ag beans. As a member of Quail Forever you are qualified to purchase Soybeans, Corn, and Milo for a mere $10.50 per bag. Corn and Soybeans are Roundup Ready. The deadline for ordering this seed is the end of September so get online and find the chapter nearest you and get your orders in. Also, Quail Forever has a line of food plot/habitat seed available through most of the yearcalled their Signature seed. It includes several really good seed mixtures for Dove, Quail, and Deer, the prices are better than many of the big name wildlife seed companies.

KubotaM4900

Farm manager":fen85nbe said:
Just a note to those of you that are successful with growing ag beans. As a member of Quail Forever you are qualified to purchase Soybeans, Corn, and Milo for a mere $10.50 per bag. Corn and Soybeans are Roundup Ready. The deadline for ordering this seed is the end of September so get online and find the chapter nearest you and get your orders in. Also, Quail Forever has a line of food plot/habitat seed available through most of the yearcalled their Signature seed. It includes several really good seed mixtures for Dove, Quail, and Deer, the prices are better than many of the big name wildlife seed companies.
I've heard of seed through quail forever and a couple others but, I don't know anyone that has been successful in getting any. I know this years order closed in September as stated. Not all chapters participates I've heard due to labor required? I along with many more have been wanting a seed opportunity in middle tn southern area especially. Any info would be appreciated by me and many others who will see this.

barkscraper

I have planted both and regular ag beans will do what you want as good or better than whitetail beans. Just plant what you can get that's the cheapest.

Farm manager

For more information on Quail Forever and to join (prerequisite for obtaining seed) go to quailforever.org. Once you get there you can join and the folks at National will assign you to the chapter nearest you or you can go to the bottom of the page and click on find a chapter and locate one that you would like to be a part of. That will also give you a source to contact about events, opportunities, and seed. Just being honest, much of the seed purchased goes into plots for ducks and deer, even what is purchased for use on the WMA's. Quail Forever is an organization with a focus on quail but it is primarily a habitat organization. Something that lots of folks do not know or haven't realized is that habitat for quail can benefit pretty much all wildlife.
The chapters usually have a person that deals with gathering the seed orders and notifying the purchasers along with aiding with the distribution when the seed arrives in early spring. Orders are usually made in Sept with folks having most of the month to figure out what they need and get their orders placed. Payment is expected at the time the seed is ordered. When the seed is picked up, Monsanto, who holds the patents on the Roundup Ready seed, requires that the recipient signs an affadavit that states that the seed is to be used for wildlife plantings only and is not to be harvested. There is no limits on the seed and the planting rates are generally stated as 3 acres per bag of corn, 1 acre per bag of soybeans, and 5-6 acres per bag of grain sorghum (Not Roundup Ready).

Farm manager

I mixed eagle beans , gamekeeper mix, with the Ag beans from Quail Forever. Probably around a ratio of 1 eagle - 2 Ag beans stretching the length of the growing season till Frost and having a good crop of beans for feed through the winter. There were a couple of plots got massacred but I planted close to 40 acres so a lot of them did really well. It was interesting to see the ag beans mature out and drop their leaves and the forage beans still green.
An option for smaller plots is Quail Haven reseeding beans and sunn hemp. My QH beans have done very well with minimal attention for 3 years now. I spray Select if there's any grass issues. They grow fast, come up early, and resist grazing pressure better than any other beans or peas that I have planted. I may plant some corn in with them this spring, it can be planted early enough for it to get up and going before the beans overwhelm it (maybe). The trellis effect it will create, enhances the benefits of the plot.

SALTMAN

Eagle by far . We use double elec fence to protect till they get established . Don't pull the fence too early though . Left to grow they will produce pods that will last on into cold weather .

barkscraper

I started out by planting 2 acres of whitetail magic beans and the deer ate them to the dirt so I planted 4 acres of reg soybeans and they ate them to the dirt but they lasted most of archery season so that was great so for me there are no difference if the end result is the same. Whitetail does not sell magic beans. So if you can get the same results for less money it does not matter which you plant . REMEMBER we are planting food-plots this aint rocket science. Two more leaves per plant should not cost that much more. When you plant 4 to 6 acres a year for fall you try to watch what the price is. REMEMBER WE ARE HUNTING

Latest posts