South western Kentucky is DRY...

MickThompson

Just got back from a three day archery hunt at our place in Christian county KY.
All the creeks and ponds are bone dry. No acorns to be found and two of us saw one yearling doe in three days of hard hunting.

Not looking good...
MO is too. I was over there for work in early August and all the pastures looked like they'd been sprayed with roundup

BSK

At my place, we've had only 0.72" since August 20th, and that came in just two rain events. The habitat is a wreck.

Have my fingers crossed for Thursday of next week.

AT Hiker

North of me in KY it's a dust storm from the bean harvest, that's the only good news.
South of me in Dickson County the white oaks I've found are like puff balls with hard shells. Pastures dried up but the morning few is heavy, I'm hoping that will keep plots from being completely decimated. But if the acorn crop continues to be a disaster the food plots don't stand a chance.

Headhunter

I hunted last weekend in KY. Dry is an understatement. Saw tons of deer, passed on everything including 2 mature bucks, both in the 140" range. Hoping to see a giant I saw last year.

Mescalero

For September in my hunting area of middle TN 7.6" rainfall. Sounds great huh? 6.3" of that occurred weekend of 9/2 & 3. Only 0.12" since 9/12.

BuckWild

Very dry. If you can find what the deer are eating it's a gold mine.
Yea we saw tons of deer in cut soybean fields on the ride home. The property we hunt is pasture with tons of mature white oaks. We saw absolutely zero acorns on the ground. Normally this time of year it sounds like its raining acorns while sitting in the stand. It's a little over 200 acres and produces some nice bucks.

All three ponds on the property are bone dry and the three creeks that run through it are dry as well. Not even any small pools holding water. Been hunting the property for 15 years and have never seen the creeks or ponds dry before.

No food or water ain't looking to good. Just hoping the rut hits hard and some deer run through the place. ;)

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Trigg county ky and Stewart county Tn both got it bad. Last 2 rains mid September fell on ground so dry it just ran off. Terrible dry, pastures are dried up, clover plots are mowed to dirt, rye and wheat is existing if they ain't eat it up. When I find a white oak with acorns it's loaded but they are few and far between. I see 14 ponds on a regular basis and watch them close but have seen no signs of EHD.
Allergies are horrible, deer are mia in many places. Mark your green places now! Anyplace green now might be a good site for a well or pond!

BSK

We've got rock stair-step creeks that continue flowing through even the worst droughts but hunting them is near impossible. The steep hillsides leading down to them create the worst swirling winds I've ever seen. Nearly always get busted by deer when we try hunting down near the creeks.

So water isn't a problem, but food is. The deer had been living off of the natural regrowth in our timber cuts, but even that is drying up and wilting. Food plots are a wreck. Nothing to draw deer onto the property except for the jungle of cover in the timber cuts. Does, fawns and yearling bucks still hanging around, but very few older bucks.

Dumbluck

Hasn't rained here West of Nashville in about a month. Everything is completely dried up. My dad's well of 20+ years dried out in North Williamson County today.

I have noticed in what very little scouting I have done that if you can find a persimmon tree with fruit that is dropping the deer are hammering them much harder than usual.

My genius neighbor was burning a trash pile the size of a truck on Saturday night which pissed me off.....you have to be a special kind of idiot to burn something big or anything with it being as dry as it is right now.

Latest posts