South MS buck.

megalomaniac

Congrats mega, way to persevere, stay with it and execute the shot. I could believe 4.5 with that jawbone.
I don't think there is enough wear on the last premolar to call him 4.5... there is some wear on the 2nd molar, but I like to use the 3rd premolar to steer me when I can't decide between 2 ages.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I can't believe this fellow stepped out yesterday afternoon at 4:15... it was 83 degrees, I was hunting in summer clothes, and even had to take off my boots my feet were so hot. First buck I've ever shot shoeless :).

250y down the powerline with the 6.5WSM. seeing my truck froze him facing me, so I just dumped him in his tracks. 140g Bergers at 3290fps.

I thought he was going to be an average 4.5yo for down here, but his jawbone looks 3.5. Still happy with him, one of the best bucks I have on camera this year locally.
I love it!
A little jealous for sure. I would rather sweat than shiver any day!!! Snowing right now in Cadiz, KY 32 headed into the teens this week!

megalomaniac

Nice mobile hunting blind! Congrats!!!
Just a little tip for all you guys... deer don't spook off vehicles as long as they don't smell you or see you move. Yes, they will stop and look at the vehicle, which is exactly what I want when hunting powerlines or pipelines down here. Otherwise, they just cross before you can even tell if it's a shooter or not. PLUS you get 4 or 5 ft elevation over the vegetation, and with a bipod and rear bag on the cab of the truck, you have a solid rest to shoot a LONG way. And even better, on my lease noone else knows this trick, so they hunt from stands and shooting houses... so I hunt crossing areas away from established stands the deer have learned to avoid.

I hunted from the back of my truck this morn and saw 5 bucks and 3 does. One small buck came right down the pipeline to me before veering off at 50y without spooking. Another buck came out and fed on a plot 150y away for 15 minutes with only an occasional glance back up at my truck.

One of these days I'm going to build a tower that fits in the bed of my truck to get me up 10ft over ground level to see over the overgrown powerlines.

tn24

One of these days I'm going to build a tower that fits in the bed of my truck to get me up 10ft over ground level to see over the overgrown powerlines.
How about one like this?:D Congratulations.
stand.jpg

Latest posts