Snow Hogs

PickettSFHunter

Exciting night on the farm last night. A group of sows and smaller hogs moved in with the giant boar that's been around for months. I took my son down to try to get him a shot. We stalked in close and saw the giant boar, but my son just couldn't get him in the night vision. The boar was moving around and around a lot. The boar moved off so we moved up into the barn that is right next to where the hogs tend to come out. Not two minutes later, a group of 4 came out of the woods and worked to within 25 yards of us. You could see them plain as day even without night vision with the 8 inches of snow on. I tried several times to get my son on them but he just couldn't see them, in hindsight I'm thinking the wall below the barn window might have been blocking his view or causing shine back on the IR. Ol dad just couldn't seem to get anything to work for him, harder than it seems in the dark.My son ended up just telling me to shoot them because it wasn't the big boar anyway 😂 I didn't have an AR because I'm not yet comfortable with my son shooting an autoloader in the dark so we had his bolt action, that limited me to the one shot before the rest hit the wood line. I waited for them to line up and shot the big sow through the neck, the bullet passed through and hit the little one in the head. My son loved getting the tractor out in the snow and loading them up. These are going to be breakfast sausage mostly. Now we focus on trying to get the big boar, I would have shot it months ago but he would be mad about it for sure if I did 😆. Bullet was a handloaded 350 Legend with a 125 Grain Maker TREX, great bullets!
4D4519AA-8160-4289-BB0E-243C23C7A5E5.jpeg

Carlos

Way to go!
Lining them up for 'collateral damage' is always great when it comes to hogs!

Latest posts