HOGS

Planking

We've moved to trapping them. Hunting them just made the problem worse and worse for us. They run the deer off, tear your property literally all to hell and then eat all the native animals and food they can. After we get them trapped out im going to have replow my yard in addition to my fields and i offered to plow my neighbors for him as well. It is a sad, expensive and labor intensive situation if you have the problem.

FTG-05

For those with hogs or those that know, what is your opinion on the accuracy of this 2021 Feral Swine map by county?

scwds-map-2021.jpg

UCStandSitter

For those with hogs or those that know, what is your opinion on the accuracy of this 2021 Feral Swine map by county?

scwds-map-2021.jpg
I can only speak for the accuracy of the Upper Cumberland but... I will say that if that's what they believe to be accurate I'd hedge my bets and add the counties to the west in white as well. At least one row of them. If you feel like you know where the hogs are, double it and you'll be right. Jokers spread like the plague.

AppalachiaVol

scwds-map-2021.jpg
I can only speak for TN. I'd say it's pretty accurate if not alittle over compensated. The plateue and mountains for sure have hogs. Maybe not the TN river valley. West of Clarksville yes. West Tn yes but I doubt in Shelby county. Haven't heard of any legit hog sightings in middle TN

Crosshairy

I can only speak for TN. I'd say it's pretty accurate if not alittle over compensated. The plateue and mountains for sure have hogs. Maybe not the TN river valley. West of Clarksville yes. West Tn yes but I doubt in Shelby county. Haven't heard of any legit hog sightings in middle TN

Unfortunately, they are indeed in Shelby County. Some were spotted in the south-western corner of the county a year or two ago, a few miles from the river. Separately, a large population exists in the NW corner of Shelby County, including Meeman-Shelby State Park and the adjoining private lands. The state has worked with some groups on some active removal efforts in that area, including big trapping operations and even aerial gunning 2-3 years ago. Funny enough, but I've still never laid eyes on them there personally even though I've seen extensive sign and found a boar skull (probably from the aerial shoot).

AppalachiaVol

Unfortunately, they are indeed in Shelby County. Some were spotted in the south-western corner of the county a year or two ago, a few miles from the river. Separately, a large population exists in the NW corner of Shelby County, including Meeman-Shelby State Park and the adjoining private lands. The state has worked with some groups on some active removal efforts in that area, including big trapping operations and even aerial gunning 2-3 years ago. Funny enough, but I've still never laid eyes on them there personally even though I've seen extensive sign and found a boar skull (probably from the aerial shoot).
Forgot Meeman-shelby was in shelby county, Makes sense theyd be close to the river. Ive boar hunted a long times in many areas with confirmed large populations of hogs. Many of these areas it looks like a bomb went off. It is suprising the amount of hog sign youll see vs. how little hogs youll actually see. they are very good at hiding and staying out of human contact. they could be anywhere

Crosshairy

Forgot Meeman-shelby was in shelby county, Makes sense theyd be close to the river. Ive boar hunted a long times in many areas with confirmed large populations of hogs. Many of these areas it looks like a bomb went off. It is suprising the amount of hog sign youll see vs. how little hogs youll actually see. they are very good at hiding and staying out of human contact. they could be anywhere
I was out there yesterday doing some scouting and saw a lot of areas torn up, but nothing that looked especially fresh. I still have yet to see one in person.

I also saw something that surprised me... a field edge with big white oak over the top of it, and there were absolutely gobs of acorns underneath that had clearly been there a while. I would have thought they would have been gobbled up by...something...by now.

Latest posts