Big South Fork hogs??

Just found out about this public hog season that is coming to an end in BSF at the end of the month. I know how hard it is to find critters that are in these big woods (especially hogs that don't stop moving) but that's the fun part. I'm not looking to put anyone's spot on blast or expecting to know right where they are, but does anyone have any general direction they can point me in? Where they might be more concentrated? So far I've just been scouring topo maps and looking at thick creek beds and intersecting creeks. I've never been up there though I usually hunt North Cumberland and Foothills so I'm used to burning boot leather

OldFussNFeathers

🤣🤣. Station camp and No Business (family roots). You find em, you may find true Russian boars. West end of the park-Divide Road-may put you on some. Wasting your time.

🤣🤣. Station camp and No Business (family roots). You find em, you may find true Russian boars. West end of the park-Divide Road-may put you on some. Wasting your time.
Hey, I got a reason to get out in the woods with my rifle so I'll take it lol I'm imagining it being a lot like North Cumberland where I see a lot of sign but never actually get eyes on. Hopefully we get lucky and stumble across one. Appreciate the info though!

ImThere

I seen tons of tracks all over the place. Just never seen a pig Last time I went up. I don't remember the name of the road we hunted off of. I'll try to look at a map later today if I get the chance

OldFussNFeathers

Hey, I got a reason to get out in the woods with my rifle so I'll take it lol I'm imagining it being a lot like North Cumberland where I see a lot of sign but never actually get eyes on. Hopefully we get lucky and stumble across one. Appreciate the info though!
If you cover ground, you will find some good areas for deer and turkey. You may get lucky and run across a hog. Any day in the woods is better than a day in the office! Enjoy the scenery up there. Absolutely beautiful.

Atchman2

I have often wondered about hunting up there. It just seems too vast and rough to start! Hog hunting to me is about finding a place where they are at and baiting them. You can't do that on public land. On private land you can, but you still need permission and a blessing from TWRA to do it legally (I think, I get confused with the hog hunting laws). I think the best way to hunt hogs is you are familiar with the area, is to use dogs. Same thing for bears.

Madbowh

I've been pretty successful getting pigs in bsf, I like to find good pig sign in high traffic areas(honey creek loop, good example) because they will have small areas they can bed in without being disturbed. I only hunt the last hour of the day. Generally it's a hike for me to get to them because they like to hide. Where i hunt in bsf they prefer bluffs. Even in winter I find frequented mud holes and sit there usually within a couple evening sitting can get one.

Also i wouldn't travel more than 30-45 minutes to hunt pigs on public land odds are your not getting one and will give up faster driving far. If I was going for my best odds at getting one I go to brimstone it's miles of walking but I bump them every time I go there don't always get a shot but I've got spots in there I'll put money I'll run them out of there bed, really long hikes though....I enjoy it.

We didn't even cut a track! Got out there really early in station camp creek. We sat in an area that looked good on the map but didn't see anything come through. We ended up walking over 9 miles cutting through several drainages west from charit creek. Didn't find any hog sign but definitely did not expect to find as much human sign as we did. Perks of going in an area the first time. Long story short we ran into a park ranger on our long walk back on the gravel road. He pressed us pretty hard and asked why we chose here to hunt. Told him we didn't really know the area and just knew there were hogs up here since there was a season. He basically told us that it's almost impossible to hunt them and that a biologist basically baits, traps, and kills them all from helicopters and keeps them in very isolated pockets. Never heard about hogs being so isolated or killed from helicopters in TN but oh well. It began to sound like he wasn't really a fan of us hunting there. He actually gave us a warning for using FMJ and hunting from the road because we still had mags in our rifles (thought it was pretty ridiculous although I'm happy it was just a warning. We were spent and just rucking back to the truck. Also didn't realize you couldn't use FMJ for hogs since they're a nuisance but knew that you can't for deer). He even tried to cite us for having more than 6 rounds in an AR mag, but thankfully he realized that was legal. We tried finding some different ammo but every store that might've had some was closed so we just ended up calling it.

All in all it was a pretty good hike in some awesome country lol did find some decent deer sign but it's pretty sparse. Definitely know to look in other areas up there next time if we want to get on hogs!

Atchman2

We didn't even cut a track! Got out there really early in station camp creek. We sat in an area that looked good on the map but didn't see anything come through. We ended up walking over 9 miles cutting through several drainages west from charit creek. Didn't find any hog sign but definitely did not expect to find as much human sign as we did. Perks of going in an area the first time. Long story short we ran into a park ranger on our long walk back on the gravel road. He pressed us pretty hard and asked why we chose here to hunt. Told him we didn't really know the area and just knew there were hogs up here since there was a season. He basically told us that it's almost impossible to hunt them and that a biologist basically baits, traps, and kills them all from helicopters and keeps them in very isolated pockets. Never heard about hogs being so isolated or killed from helicopters in TN but oh well. It began to sound like he wasn't really a fan of us hunting there. He actually gave us a warning for using FMJ and hunting from the road because we still had mags in our rifles (thought it was pretty ridiculous although I'm happy it was just a warning. We were spent and just rucking back to the truck. Also didn't realize you couldn't use FMJ for hogs since they're a nuisance but knew that you can't for deer). He even tried to cite us for having more than 6 rounds in an AR mag, but thankfully he realized that was legal. We tried finding some different ammo but every store that might've had some was closed so we just ended up calling it.

All in all it was a pretty good hike in some awesome country lol did find some decent deer sign but it's pretty sparse. Definitely know to look in other areas up there next time if we want to get on hogs!

They shoot them over at the New River unit sometimes too. My best friend's property is adjacent to that state land. All of the silly four wheelers from Windrock seem to drive them over to his property. Last year I set up feeders there and they asked permission to trap. They killed 28 of them! It has pretty much ruined my hunting, but has kept his property in better shape. The worst thing that has occurred is the bears. OMG! They destroy everything!

Latest posts