snapping turtles

matt_brown

My neighbor was wanting me to get some snappers out of his pond. We both had no clue there was this many in there. Is pond is around 1.5-2acre and so far I have gotten 15 turtles for a total weight of 266lbs15oz the biggest one was 27lb 9oz. Heres a few pics

matt_brown

Using noodles I call them noodles. I use a 20" piece of 3/4"pvc with a 12"piece of pool noodle slid on it. Cap the ends of the pvc and put a sting and a hook on it. The pvc absorbs the ink from a sharpie very well so you can put your info on it for them to be legal. Ill try to remember to post a pic of one this evening

Diehard Hunter

I see a new tag line in your future....."turtle man....with teeth".

You yell yee yee yee when you catch one?

Poleaxe

We set out bait lines with a fish head on it hooked through the eyes and every time I try and pull the turtle out of the water the hook that he swallows pops out. I'm using a number 4 hook. Is this to little or to big? I made a trap yesterday out of chicken wire. Hope it works.

matt_brown

I cant remember the size alt hook I use but they are circle hooks the ones I was using kept either breaking or straightening. I use decoy string for my line. Spider wire wont hold them. Have been using freezer burnt meat. (Duck, goose, deer and fish ) im gonna put together some traps this weekend. Im getting tired of chasing floats. As soon as the water warms a bit I'll try sone hand grabbing aka noodleing

Poleaxe

I use trot line behind a 1ft or bigger steel leader. A friend told me also about the circle hooks. I guess that may be my kicker. I'll post some pics of that trap when I get a chance. It was really easy. I fished for em by hand last year once and I didn't like it. I don't mind picking them up but walking the creeks til your foot steps on one had me a little scared. Especially because the sizes we were grabbing were bigger than usual. Post some pics of that noodle when you can.

paincave_2000

We use to use a 4 foot 2�12 with 6,12-18" steel leaders with 3/0 trot line hook and a rope tied to the 2�12, bait it push it out in the pond, tie the rope to something or anchor it in the ground.And the we got fancy and got bunch of the hoop net style turtle traps from Memphis Net and Twine.Haven't done that in years.Still have a bunch of them out in the garage.

scn

In reading through here, there may be some misconceptions of how you can legally take turtles in TN. If you aren't using a commercial fishing license, here is what the sport fishing regulation says:

SECTION IX. TURTLES
A. Only the Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina serpentina) may be legally taken.
1. Season: open year-round.
2. Daily creel limit: 5; possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. Only the daily creel
limit may be possessed while afield.
3. Minimum length limit: 12 inches. For purposes of this proclamation, the length of a
turtle is determined by measuring the carapace (upper shell) in a straight line from
the scute directly behind the turtle's head (nuchal scute) to the base of the notch
where the two most posterior scutes meet.
4. It shall be unlawful to possess while afield any turtle which has been altered to the
extent that its species and/or length cannot be determined.
5. Turtles may be taken by all legal sport fishing methods except archery and spear
guns. Additionally, sport fishermen may take turtles by the use of up to three hoop
nets having a minimum mesh size of three-inches (3") on the square in Benton,
Carroll, Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Hardin,
Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Houston, Humphreys, Lake, Lauderdale, McNairy,
Madison, Obion, Perry, Shelby, Stewart, Tipton, and Weakley counties. Each net
must be marked with the owner's name and address or TWRA Identification Number.
Each net must be set so that a portion of the catch area is above the water.

It doesn't look like turtle traps are a legal method on the sport fishing license. The hoop nets are only legal in certain waters.