smokeless muzzleloaders?

Hill Country Hunter

Love mine, but unless someone else has already worked up a load for it, you have to be willing to put in the time to learn and tune your rifle, powder selection and weight, bullet selection, sabot selection, and primer slection if you want an accurate and reliable load. You are handloading without the brass, chamber, or throat.

Whatever you do, do NOT use smokeless in a rifle that was not designed for it. There are very serious differencess in what smokeless and BP do inside the gun, and using smokeless in a BP rifle can have very unpredictable and harmful consequences.

TheLBLman

Yes, but . . . . . .
Hill Country Hunter said:
Love mine, but . . . . . .

Whatever you do, do NOT use smokeless in a rifle that was not designed for it.

If you're seriously interested, might be wise to wait until AFTER this year's deer season before trying to locate one, then learn more about it. There is a forum right here on TNdeer.com devoted exclusively to just using smokeless muzzleloaders.
Here is a sample thread from the TNdeer "Smokless Muzzleloader Talk" forum:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost3408313

In the meantime, the next best thing is simply going to BH209 powder assuming you have a modern inline muzzleloader.

BluegrassDan

Own one. Killed two deer with it. Current load throws a 250 grain .45 saboted bullet at 2,350 fps. My favorite part is that you don't need to clean the thing.

I never intend to sell it. Totally serious about that!

TheLBLman

Also, some places that had been "shotguns only" are now "shotgun/muzzleloader". While the reliability of a shotgun may remain higher than any muzzleloader, today's muzzleloaders are quite reliable (when proper care is taken), and the smokeless muzzleloaders are generally more accurate with more longer-range capability than any shotgun.

Am not saying I'd rather use my Savage smokeless muzzleloader than a particular modern shotgun designed for shooting slugs, but am saying in certain circumstances the muzzleloader may be the better choice, and that in many circumstances you do now have that choice. (Our "statewide" muzzleloader season does not allow the use of shotguns.)

stalkndeer

Why would you want to use a smokeless... Umm smokepole? It's what makes it one of my favorite guns to shoot. Nothing quite like it.

fullstream

Rockhound said:
stalkndeer said:
Why would you want to use a smokeless... Umm smokepole? It's what makes it one of my favorite guns to shoot. Nothing quite like it.

Because we can...

Yep and when you know your gun you can have an effective killing range of 300 yds. My sml's are my favorite as well, if it wasn't for my boys my rifles would stay in the safe all season.

BluegrassDan

fullstream said:
Rockhound said:
stalkndeer said:

Because we can...

Yep and when you know your gun you can have an effective killing range of 300 yds. My sml's are my favorite as well, if it wasn't for my boys my rifles would stay in the safe all season.

No cleanup necessary. No fear of your barrel rusting out.

Vermin93

I have 2 of them. Don't plan to part with either. They shoot Blackhorn 209 like a dream if you don't have time to work up a good smokeless load.

If you really want to see smoke you can use a crappy, messy black powder substitute like Triple Seven pellets or powder if you really want to inconvenience yourself.