Smoked Backstrap?

Rocky Top

Has anyone ever tried smoking a backstrap?

I am thinking of trying it with my next backstrap. Maybe a simple marinade for a day or so, a little smoke maybe an hour, and then wrap entire strap with bacon and cover with foil and smoke/cook until done.

What do you think?

DntBrnDPig

It might work. I'm just afraid the venison isnt meant for the low and slow method. But wrapping it in bacon AND wrapping in foil might prevent it from drying out.

Rocky Top

Yeah i was worried about drying it out as well. I think i might try a smaller piece the next time i smoke something to test first. I was hoping maybe someone else had tried something similar.

Rocky Top

Just found this on another site:

Ok, here goes - Smoked Backstrap:
You will need:
1 backstrap
Celery
Garlic cloves
Italian dressing
Worchestershire Sauce
Onion
Garlic powder
Mrs Dash Original seasonings
Dale's Marinade
Morton's Nature Seasonings
A smoker
Mesquite chips or sticks
Charcoal
Water pan for smoker

cut the backstrap in half, or you can do it whole. Trim all of the 'silverskin' (membrane) and fat off of it. Then, cut a few slits (about 1-2" deep, and the same length) in the backstrap. Space them fairly evenly, about 4-5" apart, and staggered. You don't need but one every 5" of backstrap length. You'll use this later. Coat (not too much, though) the backstrap in garlic powder and Mrs. Dash original seasoing. Let this sit for about 30 min to an hour.

Now is a good time to get that charcoal going, and put the water in the smoker pan. It's best to soak the mesquite chips in water overnight, so that they burn longer, and release the smoke over a longer period of time.

Next, Coat the meat in a good sprinkling of Morton's Nature seasonings. As finely as possible, chop celery, onions and garlic. Mix the onions, celery and garlic and insert it into the slits you cut earlier. Liberally sprinkle Garlic powder (again), Mrs. Dash, and Morton's Nature Seasonings over the backstrap.

Take another onion, and the leftovers from the 1st one, and cut into slices.
Crush 2 garlic cloves, and cut up the remaining celery.
add this to the water pan of the smoker (should be almost boiling now. Also add the worchestershire (about 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup of Dale's, a liberal amount of Morton's, Italian dressing, Mrs. dash, etc. to the water.

Place the backstrap on the grill, and put a little italian dressing on top of it.

Smoke for 4-6 hours, keeping an eye on charcoal, and water, adding when needed. Keep in mind that most of the flavor comes from the water pan. Cut into the backstrap at 4-6 hrs, to see if it is done. Leave on longer if needed. In a pinch, you can wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for the last 30 min. or so, if weather conditions aren't ideal (ie, too cold, windy, etc.)

It is a little trouble, and it takes time, but the backstrap will have a wonderful flavor, and will melt in your mouth!

TAFKAP

To me, it's a waste of a fine cut of meat. Smoking is used for cheap, tough cuts, that require a lot of flavor. It's like grinding up filet mignon for hamburgers.

fishboy1

Just made this the other day.

Take a venison ham and debone, make sure you get the gland out from between the 3 large muscle groups. Remove the sirloin tip and save for steaks or jerky. (looks like football or softball )

poke holes in roast with knife and insert garlic slivers.
Lay 2 5" sprigs of fresh rosemary inside the roast. Add 6-10 sprigs of fresh thyme and several cranks of fresh ground black pepper.
Pour about 1/3 cup of Allegro hickory smoke marinade (or original) over roast and roll shut.
Set roast on bacon strips and wrap the bacon over the roast.
Use skewers to pin roast together.

Put on smoker with hickory, cherry, or oak. Add water to your smoker bowl, and put another grate over that with an empty foil pan to catch the drippings.
USE A MEAT THERMOMETER! Cook to internal temp of 135. (about 3-5 hrs depending on the size of the roast and temp of your smoker. Thats why the thermometer is so important)

You want the roast to be rare when you take it off and tent it with foil.

Gravy:
Take the dripping pan and transfer to small sauce pan. Add a little beef stock or water if necessary to bring to 2 cups liquid. Add some salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and add 1/2 cup red wine. Bring to boil and reduce by half. Wisk in 1 table spoon of butter and 3 chopped mushrooms 2 minutes before you take it off the stove. Pour over your sliced venison. Goes great with wild rice.

kdxdude

Rocky Top said:
Has anyone ever tried smoking a backstrap?

I am thinking of trying it with my next backstrap. Maybe a simple marinade for a day or so, a little smoke maybe an hour, and then wrap entire strap with bacon and cover with foil and smoke/cook until done.

What do you think?

It is extremely good when smoked if done right. Prepare a good marinade & let sit for 24 hrs. Keep ur temps on smoker between 200-225. Foil or not, the choice is yours, it's good either way. Take to internal temp between 140-145. Let rest for 1/2 hour if ya foil it. Slice & enjoy. Good luck & God Bless!! :)

DBLAARCHERY

Ok a proven method for sure...Low and slow...

I take a whole backstrap and rub mustard all over outside...Make sure to cut silver side off...Rub mustard on and add your favorite rub...I use kracker girl or Tony Sat...

make sure your fire is up to 200 and stays at 200 for the entire time...If it gets hotter you will dry it out...I usually cook for about 2 hours or until the center is at 150...Its all about the temp...

Tips for great meat off the smoker:

Make sure you start smoking meat at room temp...Do not throw it on cold...

When you are done smoking place in tin foil and place in cooler until it cools down enough to handle it...This allows the juices to re enter the meat...If you are scarred it dried out inject with beef bouillon as soon as you take it out and let sit as described...

To serve simply reheat for serving...

PS
I prefer a hind quarter roast for smoking...They are larger and turn out very tender...

kdxdude

Rocky Top said:
Thanks ya'll will have the smoker going this weekend.

Take pics & post em on here so we can see how ya did. Trust me when I say, you'll receive some strange looks when your taking pics of your cooked food. :D

Latest posts