Smoked Backstrap & Tenderloin

Specializedjon

My first time smoking venison this weekend. It was probably the best meat I've ever eaten. This was the buck I recently took off our new land. Made it all that much more special.

Marinade:
- Soy sauce
- Italian dressing
- Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- Tabasco
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
(as you can see....only what I could find in the fridge)

Jabbed it with a fork pretty good, stuck it in a zip lock bag a mashed it all in. Let it sit in the fridge for about 4-hours. Wrapped the 3 pieces in bacon. Topped it with Montreal seasoning before it went on the smoker.

Smoked it at 225 (ish) for 4-hours. Actually lost the fire while we went shooting (dumb move) but thankfully it was stinkin PERFECT.

Pretty sure this isn't the best marinade or smoking technique but it turned out awesome. Scarf'd it down before we were able to get pics.

Sellis26

I really wanna try smoking one. I did a back strap in the crock pot the other day(crazy I know) and it really wasn't that good. I threw everything in the kitchen sink at. I enjoy wild game but have a hard time cooking deer to my liking I've found the best way to eat it is jerky, snack sticks, ground, and summer sausage.

MickThompson

I really wanna try smoking one. I did a back strap in the crock pot the other day(crazy I know) and it really wasn't that good. I threw everything in the kitchen sink at. I enjoy wild game but have a hard time cooking deer to my liking I've found the best way to eat it is jerky, snack sticks, ground, and summer sausage.
Keep it simple on backstrap. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder; lighter on the onion and garlic. Rub with oil then smoke, grill, or sear to your preferred level of done

Specializedjon

Agree Mick. I smoke with just regular old post oak wood as my base fire, then added a few chips of cherry (all I had) the first hour...nothing crazy, just 3-4 small chunks. Not sure if that's the preferred wood for flavoring backstrap but it worked. For me, the back was the key. 2x 12" strips of backstrap with 3 pcs. of bacon on each. Can't go wrong with bacon ;)

TAFKAP

Salt, pepper, & maybe some garlic is all a backstrap should need. Treat it like you would a beef filet because that's what it is.

Sizzle it in the skillet with butter, and finish in the oven. Grill it over wood. Grill it over propane. Smoke it then sear it. Whatever you do, don't cook it past 130° internal temp and it should be just perfect.

backyardtndeer

For inner loin I just use my simple brine solution. Equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar, about a quarter cup of each and black pepper. Mix with about a quart of water and put the loins in the mix to soak overnight. Smoke at 225, usually with hickory or pecan.

TNTreeman

Agree Mick. I smoke with just regular old post oak wood as my base fire, then added a few chips of cherry (all I had) the first hour...nothing crazy, just 3-4 small chunks. Not sure if that's the preferred wood for flavoring backstrap but it worked. For me, the back was the key. 2x 12" strips of backstrap with 3 pcs. of bacon on each. Can't go wrong with bacon ;)
I got plenty of cherry if you need any. It's my favorite smoking wood. Lemme know.

Specializedjon

I was shooting for 250ish but had trouble keeping the temps down that low so my cook time was shortened. I guess I got too generous with the charcoal.
I've had the same problem. My target temp is between 225-250. I used to fight the temp spikes so I started cutting my wood chunks into smaller pcs., like palm size chucks or smaller. I just feed a few of those in the firebox every so often. Seems to have solved the 300+ temp flare ups. I'm still learning though. I've ruined plenty of $75 briskets in my day.

Latest posts