Slow Cooker Curry Chicken

Mike Belt

Tried this yesterday and it was good....

1 Tbsp butter
1 onion chopped
1 each (10.75 oz) cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz.) can of coconut milk
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
3 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper
3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
1 cup green peas
2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms

Heat butter in skillet over medium heat and cook onion until browned
In a large bowl stir together milk, soups, curry, salt, and peppers
Place chicken in bottom of cooker and pour in soup mixture
Stir in onion, peas, and mushrooms
Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours
Reduce to low heat 1 1/2- 2 hours
Serve over bed of cooked rice

GMB54

Sounds ok for an Americanized curry but a little salty for my tastes depending on the curry powder you are using. Onion soup mix is a sodium bomb. Nearly 5000mg in a whole 2oz pack. Creamed soups are loaded too but Campbells does have a super low sodium Cream of Mushroom.

As a "westernized" curry i would suggest Vadouvan curry powder. It includes rosemary and thyme. I use it for tons of stuff because its a mild powder and no added salt. You can always adjust for salt and heat later but its a PITA to take them back if your base has too much.

BTW just skip the butter. Skim the fat off the can of coconut milk and use that to fry the onions. Good coconut milk will have plenty of fat in it. The fat will rise to the top of the can if you leave it alone for a few days. Just dont shake it when you are ready to use it. If you need to add another oil add rice bran oil or avocado to increase the smoke point. Both are very healthy oils too.

Do you like really strong curries?

Whitetaillane8

GMB54":10v247rq said:
Sounds ok for an Americanized curry but a little salty for my tastes depending on the curry powder you are using. Onion soup mix is a sodium bomb. Nearly 5000mg in a whole 2oz pack. Creamed soups are loaded too but Campbells does have a super low sodium Cream of Mushroom.

As a "westernized" curry i would suggest Vadouvan curry powder. It includes rosemary and thyme. I use it for tons of stuff because its a mild powder and no added salt. You can always adjust for salt and heat later but its a PITA to take them back if your base has too much.

BTW just skip the butter. Skim the fat off the can of coconut milk and use that to fry the onions. Good coconut milk will have plenty of fat in it. The fat will rise to the top of the can if you leave it alone for a few days. Just dont shake it when you are ready to use it. If you need to add another oil add rice bran oil or avocado to increase the smoke point. Both are very healthy oils too.

Do you like really strong curries?
Original recipe sounds good. I must have missed the O.P asking for someone to rewrite the recipe

GMB54

2oz packet of onion soup mix around 4270mg sodium
Can of cream of mushroom soup 2175mg
Can of cream of chicken 2175mg
1/2 tsp salt...about 1000mg
Curry powder...unknown kind

Looks like its pushing 3000mg per chicken breast serving and we have not even included the sodium in the chicken. So yes i would find it to be very salty for a curry.

Mike Belt

I've never seen a recipe that couldn't be "adjusted". Have at it if need be but it sure tasted good as is. I've never paid any attention to ingredients; calories, sodium, etc. My metabolism allows me to eat anything and everything without repercussion.

GMB54

Ive made or eaten just about every style of curry i can imagine. Its one of my favorite flavor profiles but i like mine pretty strong. Thai and Indian styles have intense flavors. Japanese, Chinese and Korean...not so much but they are still good. Thai and Indonesian styles use lots of coconut milk and fat. Indian leans more towards ghee, cream and yogurts. Certain kinds of fats REALLY make a curry standout. I never worry about if its a bad fat or a good fat unless it burns easily. I use ghee quite often instead of regular butter just because it has a better smoke point.

What i run into sometimes is a dish needs more curry flavor but the commercial mix includes salt. Well if its already salty enough thats obviously a problem. Thai curry pastes for instance are very salty too. A good curry powder or masala makes it very easy to adjust exactly what you want. Some are very easy to make from scratch.

Curry like chilli is one of those things that needs enough salt or it just wont taste right. Lets face it, a jumbo portion of most of them is gunna be way over the RDA for sodium even if you closely adjust the seasoning. I can scarf down a pretty big bowl of curry rice. :D

TzdeUHw.jpg

Kag1Mzw.jpg

szHY3mF.jpg

kmJlt6q.jpg

GMB54

I made the "cream of" version the other day on a whim. Mom used to make a casserole with Minute Rice, "Cream Ofs", leftover baked chicken and veggies. So i thought hmmmm what if it was curried too.

I cracked out the no salt added vadouvan curry and some Aleppo pepper for a little heat. Added a can of coconut milk and enough no salt added bone broth to make it on the soupy side. Jasmine rice i had slightly under cooked. Baked the whole mess for an hour at 300F.

It was so good and i had run out of vadouvan so i ordered more and bought a few more "Cream Of" cans.

Omega

I like me some curry, had some of the best curry at the traveling Smithsonian exhibit in Japan. Fresh "tortillas" made on a hot rock, and served with a good helping of curry. Another good place was a restaurant on the way to our main base which had a deal that if you finished the bowl of their hottest, it was free. Way too hot for me, and I like it spicy, so stuck with the medium one.

I made some from venison awhile back, but I just used a packaged version, came out pretty good though, and my coworkers loved it. I am going to have to try the OPs version too, I love trying new recipes.

Xy7RmJ5.jpg

GMB54

Japanese curry in general is pretty mild. I lived in Misawa for several years. S&B hot golden curry has some zip but its still not in the same league as a spicy Thai or Indian curry. If you like a mild/medium simple curry mix, look for Ottogi. Its from Korea and very similar to Japanese curries. S&B golden curry is good too but cost quite a bit more. The mild or medium Ottogi powders are like comfort food over there and it dont take long to whip them up. They are however very salty.
1.-Korean-Curry-Powder.jpg

Venison goes excellent with curries. Reminds me a lot of goat curry. Ox tail curry is also super good. All 3 just need longer cooking times to get tender.

Omega

Japanese curry in general is pretty mild. I lived in Misawa for several years. S&B hot golden curry has some zip but its still not in the same league as a spicy Thai or Indian curry. If you like a mild/medium simple curry mix, look for Ottogi. Its from Korea and very similar to Japanese curries. S&B golden curry is good too but cost quite a bit more. The mild or medium Ottogi powders are like comfort food over there and it dont take long to whip them up. They are however very salty.
1.-Korean-Curry-Powder.jpg

Venison goes excellent with curries. Reminds me a lot of goat curry. Ox tail curry is also super good. All 3 just need longer cooking times to get tender.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these, I used S&B Golden curry (spicy) and it tasted great. I used the crockpot, and cooked it as usual, which was most of the day, I forgot the celery last time though, think I will try again with this one if I find it. Is the hot one comparable to the S&B spicy?

BTW, stationed at Sagami Depot for four years, never made it to Misawa though. I agree, Thai...everything is spicier, but you can find a few Japanese places that serve some spicy curry, but yes in general most Japanese food is more subtle, even their pastries are subtly sweet.

GMB54

I normally get the Ottogi medium and kick up the heat with something like Aleppo pepper when served. Just sprinkle some on top. Its delicious. I would simmer the meat until tender WITHOUT the Ottogi or S&B first. Both have thickeners in them. Add them about the last 10ish minutes before serving so the flavor is more intense.

Here is another EXCELLENT curry powder if you dont mind a little salt added. I just got this the other day off Amazon. Its similar to a Indian curry but a tad milder. I use it with coconut milk or coconut powder. You can do that with the Ottogi too if you want a hint of the Thai/Indonesian flavor.
Jansal Valley Vadouvan French Curry, 20 oz. This is a French interpretation of an Indian Masala that mixes curry, curry leaves, mustard seeds, fenugreek, cumin, coriander, roasted onion, garlic, cardamom, marash chiles among other ingredients. Vadouvan French Curry has a savory flavor that is more familiar to Western palates than many Indian spice mixtures.

This Aleppo is ok if you cant find one you like locally. Not great but about as good as Sadaf or Sahadi brands.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

GMB54

Here is how you would use the Ottogi powder. Just remember that wild game and tougher cuts will need a longer simmer time. Its especially good with boneless chicken thighs or pork tenderloins since they cook fast

Latest posts