Slaw for BBQ

JMcB

Never been a fan of vinegar based slaw until I found this recipe. It doesn't require water bath processing so it stays crisp, bright and light on the vinegar taste. We made it for leftover porchetta sandwiches and is great to help cut the richness of pork. Excellent for BBQ.

Pickling mixture
1 cup distilled white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 cup cold water

4 to 5 cups mixed slivered or julienned firm, raw vegetables. I used cabbage, bell peppers, snow peas, carrots and celery.
If you like a little heat - add few slivers of jalapeno

Heat vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard seeds to a simmer stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Add cool water and let cool to lukewarm. Pour mixture over vegetables and refrigerate until ready to use. The veggies will be lightly pickled w/in a couple hrs but even better after 24 hrs. If stored covered in a jar or a bigger batch in covered Tupperware, will keep in the refrig for a month or so. Just make sure the veggies are covered w/ brine.

[size]Topped porchetta sandwich[/size]

Pam

That looks great, I can not wait to make this, thank you for sharing. I just wish I had one of those already made jars of slaw at our house :grin:

JMcB

Pam said:
I just wish I had one of those already made jars of slaw at our house :grin:

Better hurry on over. Only one jar left. :)

I usually make slaw dressing w/ 1/2 cup mayo & 1/4 cup mustard, but the sugar on this helps mellow the vinegar. Think I will be doing some okra when it starts coming in.

Latest posts