Single Pin Shooters

Smoked

All right you single pin shooters, sell me on these. I have been debating on buying one, because I only use two pins on my bow now, and I'm very comfortable doing so, but there is to much clutter with my other pins there I have 5. My top pin is set for 10-30yards and second pin 30-50yards. I know I can take the rest out but just haven't. So the guys who shoot them give me the pros and cons.

nate17

I used to shoot a mathews reezen.

I had to take some pins out because i dont like clutter and was shooting top pin 25 and under, second pin 40, 3rd pin 50, with my 50 groups sometimes being bigger than a basketball.

I bought a bowtech insanity and put the same sight on it and my pin gaps got even smaller to the point to where i was very inaccurate on my middle pin because of clutter/small pin gap.

Purchased HHA single pin, got rid of clutter, now throwing softball sized groups at 60 yds. Shot a deer at 57 with it and didnt even think twice about it.

A con would be recently i had 5 deer feeding in front of me and went to slide my sight for the shot and i made this really loud squeak. This was probably partially due to the dusty environment i was hunting in. In the end, I still got my shot off, but all of the deer did hear the noise and looked from 40-45yds away.

Just my story tifwiw

StalkingWolf

A variable single pin sight like the HHA requires a little more presence of mind. You cannot forget to adjust for different yardages. I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.

TheLBLman

StalkingWolf said:
I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.
x 2.

Single aiming point, dead-on at 30 yards.
Little to think about.
Put it just a tad high when shooting at 30 to 40 yards;
Hold it a tad low when shooting under 30.

A single pin can be a great advantage in low light.

StalkingWolf

Wes Parrish said:
StalkingWolf said:
I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.
x 2.

Single aiming point, dead-on at 30 yards.
Little to think about.
Put it just a tad high when shooting at 30 to 40 yards;
Hold it a tad low when shooting under 30.

A single pin can be a great advantage in low light.

Wes, Another thing is that I am getting old and my eyes just do not focus as well. All those pins kind of glob together, especially in low light.

UTGrad

Love my Black Gold Ascent

6CC4C091-84DC-4E8D-BC65-054C9CDCFC5C-11879-000007C0A2E38DCE.jpg

bowriter

R.I.P.
I have bowhunted for a ton of big game all across the U.S. and Canada. I only shot one pin and fingers for my entire career with vertical bows. Always, my one pin was set dead on at 25-yards.

I shot 65-70 pounds and a 125-gr. head. It was simple to start at 10-yards and shoot one arrow every five yards out to 40-yards. Doing that, I knew exactly where to hold to hit dead on. However, hitting dead center is not important.

You have a minimum of five inches, 2.5 high and 2.5 low on most game. So, with a pin at 25, from 0-30 yards, I simply held dead center of the killzone. Further than that, I simply held a little high.

You see, I was not concerned with nailing a poker chip. I was concerned with hitting a football. Think of it that way and you will be just fine.

Knothead

UTGrad said:
Love my Black Gold Ascent

6CC4C091-84DC-4E8D-BC65-054C9CDCFC5C-11879-000007C0A2E38DCE.jpg

Dude, get off the iPhone, for cryin out loud! You are supposed to be hunting, not reading TNDeer. You can live without your iPhone for 2 hrs, surely. Geez! No wonder you haven't killed a deer yet!!

FOX FIRE

I tried all kinds of pin set ups & all made noise & vibrated loose after a while & would need to be reset, always at the worst possable time, plus all the pins bunched up made it a hassle to see what I was shoot'n at.

Got a single pin set up from Carolina Archery & fixed all that, set it at 30 yards & guess the rest, my bow ( my beloved old High Country) shoots relatively flat so it aint hard to figure out wher ya need to place the pin, noth'n to it.

Just to try it remove all your pins but one, take it for a test drive, if ya dont like it replace them...at no cost to you, HA !!

W.Seay

Been using single pin HHA sights for the last 7 years, I would NEVER considering going back to a multi-pin sight ever again!!!! All I can say is try one and see for yourself!

DMAG

just made the switch last weekend. I love it. I am not used to the slider yet as I mad a 60 yard shot on my 30 yard mark. You will like it. I can tell you I will probably leave it at 30 yards and hold high and low. Just less to think about. I bought the HHA slider with a .010 pin. Man it is sweet.

Crow Terminator

There are positives and negatives to both single pin sliders and multi pin sights. You have the weigh each according to your own likes and dislikes. There is no wrong answer in it. Just a bunch of opinions.

I have shot the single pin slider sights...some things I like about them and some things I do not. The #1 gripe I have is the weight associated with them. All of the HHA sights are 8+ ounces in weight. All of the sliders are compact and weigh in that 8-12 ounce range. The weight wouldn't be bad if it were balanced/distributed out away from the riser...but with them being short and compact, the weight all sits right there on the riser. It's more of a balance issue for me.

So here's Crow's way of getting around this. Most people say they set the slider pin in one spot and don't move it. What I've done is incorporate the best of both worlds. I bought a cheap pin sight with bright fibers. Honestly the only reason I did this was because my pin sight I planned on hunting with didn't have a place to mount a quiver bracket on it. The one I got is a Trophy Ridge Punisher. $30 plus tax. I took one pin off...which left me with two pins. I set the top pin in the middle of the sight housing and used the gang adjustment to make that pin my 25 yard pin. Then I used the 2nd pin as a "hail mary" pin. I set it for 50 yards, which is about as far as I am going to shoot at a deer. This acts as a safety buffer for me...I don't have the clutter of pins blocking the sight picture. If I range the deer at 35 yards I know I need to aim high with my 25 pin...but I know not to aim any higher than where my 50 pin is...so I wont overshoot. Basically I can bridge the gap between the two pins. I didn't choose the Punisher for any other reason than #1....it was cheap. #2 it is extremely light weight.

I've been practicing long shots all late summer...and the first deer kill of 2012 for me was at about 8 yards. lol

southernhunter

i am hoping to buy a new bow this year that shoots at least 300 fps with a hunting shaft .then i will set one pin out to 30 and be done with it. i have made the mistake of shooting at a deer with the wrong pin.so seeing that in the timber this time of year its very hard to shoot pass 30 to 40 yards . and thats about my comfort level any way . one fixed pin on a faster bow seems ideal to me ..but my pse xs just ain t up to the task . as from 20 to 30 it drops over pretty quick with the set up i have now.any way thats what i am going to try next but it all depends if i can handle shooting a higher poundage faster bow..

thejetman

Always shot a single pin sight. It eliminates guessing at the moment of truth. I site it in it 30 yards and stay within my range. Plus. It helps you not want to throw an 8 dollar arrow at a deer past that. I hate losing arrows. So this way I know that if I keep my max distance to target 30 and closer, I am morenlikely to make a kill shot. I don't like taking those iffy shots. Personal preference. But it works for me. Once I get to my stand sight
I walk off 30 yards and hand a scent thing from a branch, or lay it on the ground. Then I get into my stand, and imagine a circle around me. Using the scent can as a reference. Anything inside that "circle" is then ok for a shot.

Smoked

right now I'm at the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" way of thinking, because I CAN shoot just fine the way my bow is set up now, but i just HATE THE CLUTTER.

TheAirMan

I have used them in the past. As Crow said, there are advantages and disadvantages to single and multiple pins. I prefer multiple pins myself. I do like the less cluttered look and also like the single pin coming up from the bottom. I do like the idea of being able to mark a bunch of yardages on a slider to have a lot more yardages where you could hold dead on. However, I'm not much on leaving the sight in one place and holding high or low. I also, do not like the idea of having to try and move the sight with a deer in range. In the right situation, I am comfortable to 40 and a little beyond. I don't want to not be able to shoot at one or have to move my sight to shoot at one at 42 yards because my sight is locked at 25. I have never shot the wrong pin but I did shoot at a turkey thinking I had my slider locked at 20 when it was actually at 25. So you can make mistakes with single pins to.