New Shooters and Bow Hunter Safety

hillbillyfab

Last weekend my son and I took the
Bow Hunter Education class. It's be many years since I shot with any kind of bow and with my son starting out I figured what better way than to start out with some experienced guidance. We did the field training learning at the Buck Hollow shooting facility. I've seen this place mentioned before on here, but have never attended. I have to say that's a mistake on my part, as it literally just a few miles from where we live. I can't brag on the Buck Hollow members enough for their patience with us new shooters and for allowing us to shoot there. They even sent my son home with a traditional bow to keep him shooting. We will definitely be back. Just wanted to share our experience. We meet some fine people, good fellowship and learned a whole bunch.

Safari Hunt

Looked for a BH class for years and never saw one posted on the TWRA website. Glad you connected. BTW, if your son is really interested in archery, look into the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP). Go to the website, www.naspschools.org, for the full story and state coordinators. If his school doesn't have one, start one. I've been a coach for about 5-6 years and love it. Archery is the safest sport only exceeded by ping pong. There are scholarships available. Not all kids are built for basketball, baseball, track, football, etc. I'm one- too short too chubby and too slow. But...I can draw and accurately shoot a bow. Good luck with your son as this will be times you will treasure for years!
Edit- If I can help with starting a NASP program in his school, PM and I'll help in any way I can.

eddie c

The Buck Hollow guys are great. I try to attend several of their shoots every year. Didn't know that they were holding classes also.
I was one of TWRA bow ed instructors for several years. When they went online with the course they told that they would call me if they needed me. Never got that call.

Latest posts