Single Pin Sight

Atchman2

My old eyes just cannot see the multipin sights. I bought an inexpensive single pin sight to try it. Most of the places I hunt, I know the ranges due to the heavy cover. I mean you just can't shoot any further especially early season. If I like it I might switch to one of the really cool new electronic ones!

Has anyone else used a single pin for hunting? From online stuff most people do not like them due to having to move the "slider"?

I actually have an older bow, and I mean ANCIENT, that I took all of the pins off of except for two. You can shoot 20 yards or less or 30 yards to about 35ish. . Yeah, it looks stupid but it works since my ranges are so limited anyway.

Rabbitkil

I had one of the fancy high dollar slider single pin sights but end up having it set on like 27yds which allowed me to shoot 0-40 with 100% confidence just spent a lot of time practicing. The only time I actually moved the sight is when I would want to practice at longer distances cause on occasion I would go out to 100yds

TheLBLman

Has anyone else used a single pin for hunting? From online stuff most people do not like them due to having to move the "slider"?
It's my belief most bowhunters hunting in typical TN woods would likely bring home as many or more deer with a single pin bowsight vs. a 4 or 5-pin sight. The reason is it can be so very easy to use the wrong pin with a mulit-pin sight, especially in low light and/or a fast decision. Single pin eliminates those mistakes.

I've lost some good bucks at 20 yds & less simply because I accidently used the wrong pin. Last few years I bowhunted with a regular compound bow, I simply used one pin, like Tellico4x4. Set yourself up for no shots past 30 yds, life is much simpler.

I've since gone to a crossbow, mainly because of the ease in using a traditional optical scope. Old eyes have more "issues" with bow "pin" sights. The traditional optical riflescope solves the eye issues. But the crossbow is as much a curse as a blessing.

Before I went the scope on a crossbow route, I went back to a simple recurve bow with no sights whatsoever. Due to not having adequate time for regular practice, this limited my high probability range to 20 yds or less. I just saw no reason to stick with that when 35 yds or so was high probability with the crossbow without the frequent shooting practice.

Atchman2

I'm in love with it now. The sight has an adjustment to "turn on" the fiber optic and even my old eyes can see to shoot.

Atchman2

It's my belief most bowhunters hunting in typical TN woods would likely bring home as many or more deer with a single pin bowsight vs. a 4 or 5-pin sight. The reason is it can be so very easy to use the wrong pin with a mulit-pin sight, especially in low light and/or a fast decision. Single pin eliminates those mistakes.

I've lost some good bucks at 20 yds & less simply because I accidently used the wrong pin. Last few years I bowhunted with a regular compound bow, I simply used one pin, like Tellico4x4. Set yourself up for no shots past 30 yds, life is much simpler.

I've since gone to a crossbow, mainly because of the ease in using a traditional optical scope. Old eyes have more "issues" with bow "pin" sights. The traditional optical riflescope solves the eye issues. But the crossbow is as much a curse as a blessing.

Before I went the scope on a crossbow route, I went back to a simple recurve bow with no sights whatsoever. Due to not having adequate time for regular practice, this limited my high probability range to 20 yds or less. I just saw no reason to stick with that when 35 yds or so was high probability with the crossbow without the frequent shooting practice.
I have a new Barnett Crossbow to replace the one I fell on while turkey hunting. It shoots over 400 fps. I don't think it is as accurate as my older, slower one, but it is very accurate. I've not tried to shoot it at over regular bow range yet. Mostly because my yard only allows short ranged shots. I did have to go buy a better target! The new crossbow blew right through my others! I may try some heavier arrows in it.

Latest posts