Simmons 8 point

DCOOK223

I haven't rifle hunted in probably 8 years because I sold my deer rifle when I needed money. I wasn't very concerned because I duck hunt. Anyway, my wife bought me a savage axis in .270 for Christmas. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to put a "good" scope in my budget. My friend has a Simmons 8 point 3x9x40 that he says i can use. Do y'all think that will get me through and do an OK job?

GOODWIN

Sure will. May not be too great in low light conditions but it'll get you by. I'd take it to the range a few times to make sure it is holding zero then go hunt. Or just use iron sights if your rifle came with them.

Jcalder

I used to own a Simmons 8 point. Had it on a muzzleloader. Worked just fine. Finally upgraded and it got put on the shelf. My daughter needed a scope so I got it out. Mounted it on her 22 and went to adjust the magnification and the crosshairs turned 45*. It did work fine up to that point

Big or small, kill em all

DCOOK223

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll definitely make sure it will hold a zero. I just needed reassurance that it was worth the time to mount it. Thanks again

DaveB

I had a Simmons scope on my 243 for about ten years. The sling broke, rifle swung around and hit the bell against a tree, snapped it right off.

A few years later I sent the pieces back to Simmons who at the time was owned by Bushnell and they replaced it, totally for free (I paid shipping), with a current technology scope.

.444 Marlin

A "good scope" is one that works for you. You dont have to spend a bank roll on a scope to have a good dependable one. Ive had $50 simmons 8pt scopes on most of the guns I started out with and they worked fine. Nowadays its Nikon Prostaffs, closer to the $150 range but clearer and better built.

DCOOK223

.444 Marlin":kvqn0mcg said:
A "good scope" is one that works for you. You dont have to spend a bank roll on a scope to have a good dependable one. Ive had $50 simmons 8pt scopes on most of the guns I started out with and they worked fine. Nowadays its Nikon Prostaffs, closer to the $150 range but clearer and better built.
The Nikon is what I was originally planning on. Thanks for the advice

fishboy1

I used one for several years until it quit holding zero. Killed a bunch of deer with it. From what I can tell, they are a good cheap scope but they don't last as long as other scopes. Mine would be off, I would sight it in and it would be consistant for 3-4 shots then go out again and take 3-5 shots to get back on target. Stay zeroed for 3-5 shots then wander off target again. Drove me nuts and burned a lot of ammo trying to figure out what was going on until I switched to a different scope and it stayed zeroed.

stik

i made the mistake of buying a simmons scope- once.
the scope referred to in the op should suffice until you can upgrade being a loaner and all. i wouldn't buy one.

Latest posts