Shrinkwrap style fletching?

JDBinTN

Yes and it has worked great, I got the Extreme with Blazer vanes and have had no trouble shhoting them in a WB rest.

Arrow Flinger

Yeah, I tested them last year (Extremes). I used them on my arrows and on fletched a young ladys arrows as well with them. They fly great, as long as you take your time putting them on right. The only problem I had, was when the water was to hot, it made the actually fletching detach from the wrap.

jakeway

I just bought a six pack of Extremes with the Blazer vanes tonight.

Did any of you guys try twisting it to get a little helical? I haven't shot helical vanes in years; usually fletch mine straight with a very slight (2 degrees?) offset.

I've never tried Blazers either, so this will be a nice new thing to keep me occupied and motivated to hit the range more often.

Radar

One issue I see with them is when you have to replace one bad fletch , you have to replace the whole wrap . That can be expensive for those who shoot allot .

jakeway

Radar said:
One issue I see with them is when you have to replace one bad fletch , you have to replace the whole wrap . That can be expensive for those who shoot allot .

Do you? I mean, if one vane gets damaged, can't you carefully remove it from the shrinkwrap and just glue on another vane?

I have my vanes on arrow wraps anyway; if I screw up the wrap removing the old vane, then I have to scrap the other two vanes and replace the wrap. I bet it isn't much less expensive, and it sure would take longer.

Anyway, I have a few shafts with missing vanes anyway, so I'll give them a try.

One disadvantage of the Blazers: so small it will be hard to fit in all the kill dates on the vanes.
sign_of_success.JPG

jakeway

They don't have any offset in the package, but when you first take them out of the hot water you can give them a little twist. I did 6 arrows this weekend, and the first two had a bit too little twist, but the last four ended up with a nice and quite equal amount of twist, once I got used to how hard to twist them.

I shot a couple dozen shots, both with field points and Slick Tricks. I was a little rusty, but the groups were at least if not better accuracy than my non-shrinkwrap 4" Duravane. I was really pleased with how ick and queasy it was to fleetch them. The time savings was incredible! Once I had the shafts clean of the old fletching, and the water was hot, it took me about 2 minutes to fletch 6 arrows.

But I think Radar is right (as usual). IF one of the vanes gets damaged, I don't think you can remove it from the shrink wrap cleanly enough to add a vane using glue and a fletching jig. You'd have to re-do the whole thing.

kmac29

they work pretty good. the main thing i use them for is when i go to Illinois i take a pack of them with me in case i was to mess up many of my arrows between hunting and practicing at the cabin.

RussellvilleRob

I got 6 from Cabelas yesterday. I guess they will do in an emergency. If I shot a straight fletch, they would have worked better. I tried to twist a little helical into them and it was a disaster. I really wanted to like them, but I just couldnt. I will stick to the old-fashioned fletching.