shrimp etouffee

WTM

heres an old recipe i came across. this brennan's resturaunt recipe from new orleans, at least it was in 1963.

i like to use crawfish instead of shrimp, BUT the only thing i can get right now is thai shrimp.(i dont use chinese crawfish.)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 finely chopped green onions
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
1 stick butter
2 tablespoon flour
2 1/2 cup water
1 10 oz can tomato puree or diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
4 drops tobasco
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon creole seasoning(tony chacher)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne(optional)
1 lb shrimp or crawfish tails

in a soup pan saute onion, garlic, green onions, celery and bell pepper in butter until tender on medium heat(6-7). add flour and stir until lightly browned. add water, tomato, bay leaves, sauces and seasonings. bring to boil reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. add shrimp and cook for another 15 minutes. served with parsleyed long grain rice, good french bread, a little wine and a couple good friends. serves three men or six pansies.

100_3808.jpg

The Ol Professor

I made it tonight...whoa back, was it good! Next time I'll back off a bit on the cayenne, though, the ulcer is going to wake me up around 3am!

WTM

The Ol'Professor said:
I made it tonight...whoa back, was it good! Next time I'll back off a bit on the cayenne, though, the ulcer is going to wake me up around 3am!

glad you liked it. i think for most folks, the tony's and tobasco will be enough seasoning.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Guys, try this. Instead of the cayene and tabsco, use Rotel tomatoes instead of the regular ones. I think you'll find the heat just about right and still get the flavor. Use the Rotels with chopped green peppers. I found it a lot easier on my guts.

BTW- Brennans is one fine eating joint if you can afford it.

Etoufee is nothing more than stew served with rice.

That is pretty much the way I make it but I make a darker roux. I prefer crawfish but I aint using no mud bug that didn't come from the bayou. I have no problem with Chinese shrimp but my crawfish are going to come from the promised land. As for Tony's, how can you cook without it?

If you want to thicken your roux a little, instead of adding more flour, add a little file. All that is, is sassafras but it adds a nice flavor.

Latest posts