Shotgun all around hunting recommendations?

Rancocas

Yes, what do you mean by "all around"?
Small game, such as rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves, pheasant, grouse I like a 20 gauge.
If you include waterfowl, and big game such as deer, pigs, bear, then I would choose a 12 gauge.
An "all around" shotgun, in my opinion, would be a 12 gauge pump with two, interchangeable barrels; a short slug barrel, 20-24 inches or thereabout, for the big game, and a longer barrel for the small game. That longer barrel of around 26-28 inches should have interchangeable, screw-in chokes.
My old Remington 870 meets those parameters perfectly (for me), but there are other brands also. Besides the pump actions, some of the semi-automatics also meet those requirements.
However, for most applications my own personal preference is for side by side double barrels. In general, a double barrel with 28 inch barrels is shorter than a pump or semi-auto with the same 28 inch barrel. It may be lighter, too, and a double certainly swings on target faster than the longer shotguns. But, it is all a matter of preference and getting used to your personal shotgun.
Anyway, a 12 gauge does it all, waterfowl, small game, and big game. What type you choose is your own personal preference. You just have to handle and try out all the various types in order to find what you like and what fits you best.
If you are a smaller person, a female, a teenager, or just smaller bodied, then a 20 gauge might be a better choice. A 20 generally has less recoil than a 12.
Oh yeah, shotgun "fit" is very important.
Also, either a 12 or a 20 gauge shotgun with a short barrel does pretty good double duty as a home protection weapon.

Last edited:

real3444

Thanks so much for the feedback so far.

To clarify a bit.
  • Main hunting targets. Turkey. Duck. Not deer as I will use rifle for that.
  • Budget <$1,000
  • Body type 6' male.
  • Used or new would be fine
  • 12 gauge

Again thanks so much for your suggestions!

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Go with a synthetic stock since you'll be chasing ducks. It's less to worry about.

Pump: ~$400 (get a set of extended chokes for ~$100 with your savings, then stack ammo)
Winchester SXP Hybrid Hunter (26" or 28") - has the Cerakote finish and a nice camo pattern
Here's a link to the 26" barrel:
https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=048702016790

Semi-auto:
Franchi Affinity (~$800) in Black
https://gunprime.com/products/franc...-synthetic-semi-automatic-shotgun-41030-90347
or
Winchester SX4 with Cerakote (~$860)
https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=048702016943

Last edited:

Coltens

I would pick a Winchester SX4 also. Unless you could find a Beretta a400 used for under that. I've heard good things about the a300 ultima but have never shot one.

Spurhunter

Thanks so much for the feedback so far.

To clarify a bit.
  • Main hunting targets. Turkey. Duck. Not deer as I will use rifle for that.
  • Budget <$1,000
  • Body type 6' male.
  • Used or new would be fine
  • 12 gauge

Again thanks so much for your suggestions!
If you want to spend $1000 you can, but for half of that you could probably find a camo Remington 870 with a 26" barrel that would do both tasks very well.

squirrel_hunter

You could get several models.

870 12ga in a express model.

Winchester sx4 12ga

Stoeger 3000 or 3500 12 ga

A have had mostly Winchester super x shotguns. But the Stoeger isnt a bad shotgun for the money. In 3 or 3.5 inch mag.

REN

lots of good options in here.

Couple of other questions. Does pump or Auto matter or you have a preference? does breakdown and cleaning ease matter?

IMO for that budget I would 100% go auto. Just more fun to shoot and generally better on recoil.
Personally I love inertia guns. More reliable and MUCH easier to break down and clean. Also require much less cleaning.

If you can find an original SBE they are fantastic guns with mobile choke system so chokes are easier to find and cheaper. Easy to find parts for if needed as well. Might be able to find a used M2 or SBE2 for right at 1k as well as another option

If you are wanting to save money then Stoeger 3000 or 3500 (if you care about 3.5" shells) is a great option

Next level up from that is the Franchi which also is a fantastic option with a great warranty and quality built.

All of those are inertia based and my own personal recommendations for all around use guns when people ask. However I am a big benelli fan so take that into consideration.

My other big suggestion is narrow it down to a few and try and find them instock somewhere and go shoulder them. you will find some just dont "feel" as well as others no matter the brand on the receiver. Find one you really like and fits you really well and it will last you as long as you want it to. FOR ME I will never own another pump shotgun as long as I can afford other options.

deerhunter10

Benelli browning Winchester sx4 or 3. All great options can find used around your budget. Franchi stoeger good to. I personally like inertia. I switched pretty much only a 20 gauge. Go to a store and shoulder some. Also personally I would do auto.