Shooting Question

Food Plot 101

I have a shooting dysfunction that only gets me while I'm pattering my gun, not shooting turkeys. My gun pops me in the cheekbone and it smarts, sometimes making me flinch on future patterning shots. Now I don't flinch come turkey time, but what am I doing wrong? I shoot a M'berg 835 ulti w/ 3.5 shells.
Thanks for any input!

spoon

Get a Remington. I've never shot the Mossberg, but everybody I've talked to said it kicks like a mule.

Grizzly Johnson

I shoot a Rem 870 with 3.5" shells and after a box or two I get the flinches too. Come turkey time, no problem at all. You might try a Caldwell's Lead Sled, I bought one back before deer season to sight in my guns, even a 12ga slug feels like a small caliber rifle.... great investment.

SALECREEKHUNTER

I shoot the same gun and it does kick like a mule. My first shot got me in the cheek also and it was sore for a week. I just had to tweak my shooting position a bit which makes it kinda uncomforatable from normal shooting but you get used to it after a little practice. I usually rest my cheek on every gun i shoot, but with this one i have to keep it raised off the stock just a bit.

showmehorns

Try a red dot, my face never touches the gun when pulling the trigger. When dialing mine in I put it in a good vice and line it up, no use in punishing yourself. I've never felt it go off when turkey hunting.

The 835 packs a punch and really no way to make it stop, but you can limit the amount of punishment you take.

Lawrence

If you are just trying to make sure your gun in throwing a good pattern try and shoot light loads. This works well for me! I range 20, 30, and 35 yards with my rangefinder and shoot light loads. If the pattern looks good and at point of aim then I will shoot a turkey load at 40. With the price of turkey shells you can eat up alot of money and wear out your cheek and shoulder. JMO

BV

The Limbsaver pad really helped me out with my 835 with recoil,Now when i shoot 3 1/2's out of it it feels like shooting 3 inch shells.

medwc

I 3rd the limbsaver Sims recoil pad!!! I can go shoot a box of 3 1/2 turkey loads now. Before the sims pad it was tough after 3 rounds out the of the 835. Made a BIG difference for me.

turkeyhunter64

Food Plot 101 said:
.... but what am I doing wrong? I shoot a M'berg 835 ulti w/ 3.5 shells.
Thanks for any input!

That right there is the problem..sold my berg just for that exact fact. Bought a Benneli and my problem went away. Back down to a 3 inch shell and that might help but the berg is going to kick the crap out of you each time you pull the trig on that 3.5 inch shell....

benellifelli

I have that 835 too and they are (my opinion) the hardest kicking turkey stick out there. After shooting a few rounds ,I had some of the same problems. The led sled will tame that gun down and improve your POI. Limbsaver pad will work too. I myself went to this strap on shoulder pad so I can use with any gun I shoot. It works fantastic. Just another suggestion you can try.

outtodinner005.jpg

khawk

I have the old camo version of the 835 and my brother has the newer mossy oak obsession camo pattern. It seems like mine is a little heavier in the stock than his making mine not kick quite as hard. dont get me wrong it still kicks but his will flat knock the heck out of you.

BV

like you said at first, you don't feel it when it's turkey time. My 835 kicks, but I've never noticed it kick too bad when shooting at a turkey. ( I hate target shooting with it though).

TheLBLman

Grizzly_Johnson said:
You might try a Caldwell's Lead Sled, I bought one back before deer season to sight in my guns, even a 12ga slug feels like a small caliber rifle.... great investment.
Not sure if that's the exact one I have, but this style of range rest is worth its weight in gold! Once you add a 25-lb bag of lead shot to the rest, even Mossberg Magnum turkey gun recoil is tamed.

These gun rests actually "absorb" most of the recoil that would otherwise be knocking the crap out of you with each dreaded trigger pull.

BV said:
. . . . but I've never noticed it kick too bad when shooting at a turkey.
Funny how that works, and same here.
Guess we just don't focus on recoil when turkey hunting.

Latest posts