Shed antlers

woodsman87

There have been two other post on here recently about a hunter killing a buck and his antlers pull off while dragging. I also found a shed this past week on December 30th, it was a spike shed. It was at a fence, so I assume that it knocked it off going under the fence. Couldn't really tell how long it had been there. It wasn't bleached, faded, or cracked/brittle. There was no blood on the antler. And usually squirrels and such eat them up quick. So I know it was fresh but not very fresh.

Why do yall think this is happening?

BSK

In the individual buck, stress. And it happens every year. It isn't a problem unless MANY bucks are dropping antlers early.

woodsman87

I have heard you, BSK, say that it has to do with the individual buck's stress. It looks to me as if it has all been coincidence, and I have just heard and seen more cases this year than normal. I am not worried one bit, as of now. Just found it interesting my find and the two other threads about them.
Normally they shed antlers around here Late February-Mid March, and have velvet 2-6 inch racks by early to mid April.

BSK

woodsman87 said:
Just found it interesting my find and the two other threads about them.

I get questions about killed bucks' antlers falling off in December every year. Not that uncommon.

Normally they shed antlers around here Late February-Mid March, and have velvet 2-6 inch racks by early to mid April.

That would be common for most of TN.

BSK

That one looks just shed.

I haven't gotten a picture of a buck with a shed antler, yet. But I usually do by mid-January.

duckriver

Why does some sheds I have found the base has been cupped in, while the others have been rounded out? Is this any sign of health or just different depending on the individual deer?

BSK

duckriver said:
Why does some sheds I have found the base has been cupped in, while the others have been rounded out? Is this any sign of health or just different depending on the individual deer?

Fascinating observation duckriver. However, I don't know the answer! But that's something I will look into.

landman

BSK said:
duckriver said:

Fascinating observation duckriver. However, I don't know the answer! But that's something I will look into.

I've seen something on this before, but can't remember the reasons

Winchester

Agreed would like to hear the reasoning. I always thought it was just each deers individual differences.

BSK

Winchester said:
Agreed would like to hear the reasoning. I always thought it was just each deers individual differences.

Somewhere I think I remember reading something about that trend. If I remember correctly, the author believed it had to do with buck age. But I'll have to try and find that article.

Shed Hunter

BSK said:
Winchester said:

Somewhere I think I remember reading something about that trend. If I remember correctly, the author believed it had to do with buck age. But I'll have to try and find that article.

I would not expect age to be the factor causing this difference.

I got my buddy's and my shed collection together.. 3/4 of our sheds are cupped in. The rest are rounded on the bottom.

Of the ones that are rounded none of them have pedicle chipping (where it looks like the antler came off too early and brought a bit of the pedicle with it). Many of the cupped in ones are not smooth and have the chipping.

Someome with more sheds than I have should examine them and see if their are any trends with round vs cupped in. It may be related to when the shed is dropped in relation to when it would be completely ready to drop.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
The_Utility_Dude said:
UPSman said:
Found this one Monday on Cathode.

I'd say that deer has been eating too much pecan pie, is diabetic causing premature shedding. :grin:

I guess high fructose corn syrup didn't settle to well with him ;)

BSK

Master Chief said:
BSK said:
Winchester said:

I would not expect age to be the factor causing this difference.

I got my buddy's and my shed collection together.. 3/4 of our sheds are cupped in. The rest are rounded on the bottom.

Of the ones that are rounded none of them have pedicle chipping (where it looks like the antler came off too early and brought a bit of the pedicle with it). Many of the cupped in ones are not smooth and have the chipping.

Someome with more sheds than I have should examine them and see if their are any trends with round vs cupped in. It may be related to when the shed is dropped in relation to when it would be completely ready to drop.

Great information and observations Master Chief. Thanks for posting that.

Latest posts