Todays Shed

landman

Was looking at a farm today for a client who's wanting to sell, as I was driving across it thinking about how great a turkey spot it was drove up on this shed. From the the would was it was from a 2.5 yr old, looked around for a while but never found the match, about 40 yds from a blacktop road

photo1-102.jpg

photo2-103.jpg

landman

Found this one in a 25 acre pasture

Found another one last Saturday showing a tract, laying beside a
waterhole back in the hardwoods

-DRM-

I grew up on a farm, have walked miles on various properties over the years, but amazingly enough - I have *never* found a single shed in my life!!! What am I doing wrong?

landman

-DRM- said:
I grew up on a farm, have walked miles on various properties over the years, but amazingly enough - I have *never* found a single shed in my life!!! What am I doing wrong?

I've stopped the truck, tractor, ranger, 4wheeler, many a time to look and see if something is a shed or not, them and arrow heads.

I got a few guys I know that find many with bino's out of trucks

Shed Hunter

-DRM- said:

keep your eyes on the ground and pick everything up that looks like it may be a shed. Last year I found a nine point shed and didn't realize it was actually a shed until I picked it up. It was severely damaged by squirrels so it looks really strange. Also look everywere. Deer don't he'd there antlers in specific spots. I've found sheds on all kinds of places.

I love shed hunting almost as much as actually hunting.

TheLBLman

-DRM- said:
I think you have to develop an eye for them. I have a friend who will find an arrow head nearly every time we step out of the truck, but I've never found an arrow head. His eyes are trained for them, mine aren't.

But I'm getting better over time at finding sheds. Instead of expecting to see this whole shed, start looking more for "tips" of antler, or anything that might appear to be like a dog bone. In the spring, a good tactic is scanning fields with binoculars, but again, don't expect to see a whole antler, just something that looks more like a rock, two or three little rocks, or a dog bone. With the tips pointing upward, an shed antler laying in a pasture may look kinda like a couple little rocks (since only an inch or so of antler tip may be visible). Sometimes, the sight will look like someone purposefully stuck a little stick in the ground --- key thing is to look for these little clues rather than a whole antler.

A shed antler in the woods (or field edge) is often mostly covered by leaves, etc., but often with an inch or more of antler tip protruding upward, meaning you're looking more for something that may look like a pair of mushroom stems, or a couple little rocks beside each other. One of the prettiest sheds I ever didn't find was found by the person walking behind me in hardwoods. I literally stepped on on it and didn't see it, but may have made it more visible.

Another time I was squirrel hunting with my dad (back in the early 90's) when he found a shed more massive than anything I've found before or since. It was lying totally visible in a dry slough bed (nothing obstructing the view), and I walked within 5 feet without noticing it. My dad didn't initially even realize it was a shed, as I think he was just wondering what it was when he pointed it out. Kinda looked like the skeletal remains of some raccoon-sized animal.

Truedouble

finding sheds is harder on some places than others. We have a lot of bottom land but our bucks spend most of their time in the mnt. unless it's during the rut. Therefor probably 75% of sheds are in the mnt. and get eaten up by squirrels with in a few weeks of being dropped.

That being said, this year was the first time I actually went out looking for them. I killed a turkey early one morning and decided to drive around to a couple plots just to see. I ended up finding 2 in one plot and 1 in another and then the next morning found one up in the mnt., that couldn't have been there long. Biggest I've ever found would have been about 125" (with both sides) but my grandfather found a few when he farmed that were 140's.

Latest posts