Shanks?

Trapper John

The only way I've found to tolerate them is to corn them and pick the meat out from between the little "compartments" once the process is complete. Otherwise that's a lot of cleaning work for a little bit of meat.

I tried roasting them once then shredding the meat off away from the nasty stuff. Worked okay but it was still a lot of picking.

Trapper John

Poser said:
Trapper John said:
The only way I've found to tolerate them is to corn them and pick the meat out from between the little "compartments" once the process is complete. Otherwise that's a lot of cleaning work for a little bit of meat.

I tried roasting them once then shredding the meat off away from the nasty stuff. Worked okay but it was still a lot of picking.

How easy does the silver skin fall away once the corning process is complete? Did you corn the entire shank on the bone or debone first (does it matter)?
Does corned meat freeze well?

We do corned beef and hash every year for St Paddy's Day, but I've never tried to freeze anything that has been corned.

Once the corning process is done and the meat is cooked most of the silverskin peels away like tape off a roll. At least it did with the two roasts I corned this past summer. The meat that clings to it easily shreds off with a fork or finger pressure. I boned mine out. I'm not sure if it really matters but I just don't like cooking with venison bones.

It freezes fine. I froze a chunk of corned venison roast for about 2 months and it was still great when thawed. I've never had any last longer than that but I don't see why it wouldn't be alright.

timberjack86

Yep I just mix it in with everything else I grind. You really can not tell its shank when you cook the burger. Try it. Its good use for such tough meat. I normally trim all my burger meat good so shank dosnt hurt it in the least.The toughest part is cutting the shank from the bone.

BluegrassDan

Trim out the silver skin the best you can and grind it. The small amount of shank silver skin isn't going to hurt your ground meat as long as you're careful to remove as much silver skin possible from the other cuts of meat you grind.

treefarmer

I also toss it in with the grind meat. I have never noticed an unpleasant taste nor read of any problems with the silver skin. I don't like silver on a roast or other cuts of meat. I will put much more effort to removing fat than silver.

pressfit

When I take my grinder apart the blade is always wrapped up with silverskin.. it dont like to go through those little bitty holes..

TN Whitetail Freak

timberjack86 said:
Yep I just mix it in with everything else I grind. You really can not tell its shank when you cook the burger. Try it. Its good use for such tough meat. I normally trim all my burger meat good so shank dosnt hurt it in the least.The toughest part is cutting the shank from the bone.

X2

JimFromTN

I typically just grind them and don't worry about it. I good grinder will break all that down and the part that doesn't end up wrapped around the blade for easy removal. I did braise a couple of shanks this weekend which turned out pretty good. I rubbed them down with cajun seasoning and seared them real goos on all side in a cast iron skillet then added a can of beef broth and a cup of wine and some rosemary leaves and oregano. Covered it and popped it in the oven at 325 for 2 and ahalf to 3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone. About 30 minutes before I pulled it out of the oven, I added fresh onion and garlic. You can do it when you put it in the oven if you want. Took it out of the oven and put the shanks on a plate to rest. Add a couple of tablespoons of tamatoe paste to the pan and stir. Make some noodles and put the shank in the middle and pour the sauce over it.

Cy

We cut up a deer Sunday and ground it Monday. The shanks were separate because when we started cutting up the deer the shanks were frozen solid (19 the night before) so I boned them whole.

When grinding I came to these shanks last. I cubed them and paid attention as they were going through the grinder, just because of all the silver skin that's in the pieces. Looked exactly like all the rest of the grind.

I have always just trimmed and put through the grinder.

Latest posts