Venison Shanks

TAFKAP

I started hoisting deer up by the feet, not behind the Achilles, just so I could preserve the shanks. The shanks are the lower leg cuts, "calf" and "forearm" of the deer, and usually are grinder-pile muscles if they're even kept at all. If you've never slow braised (any animal's) shanks before, you don't know how good it really is. Due to all the connective tissue, this is a long slow cook. Start out by seasoning well (salt & pepper) a few hours beforehand. I ended up salting these first, but running out of time. So I added about 3 tbsp of salt to a cup of red wine, shook it around, and poured over top of the meat. It sat in the fridge overnight.

The next day, Mrs. TAFKAP prepared the dish. We used Hank Shaw's Portuguese-style braised shank recipe. https://honest-food.net/rainy-days-and-braised-shanks/. The key to any braised dish is to start with a good browning of the meat. You'll need a large Dutch oven or roasting pan for this one. Braises don't require a lot of liquid, but enough to get about halfway up the meat when it cooks. Avoid a Crock Pot if at all possible with this one.

130556115_201097458280006_4289534309798337596_o.jpg

Displaced_Vol

I've seen a meat eater clip where he does shanks of some variety but I still haven't tried it myself. This makes me want to try it!

Crosshairy

That looks fantastic!

Here's another twist on it that you can probably find from a previous post of mine in this forum - use ancho chilies in adobo sauce, some carne asada-style seasoning, and some onions to take this same preparation into fajita-land. The leftover meat is really great to chop up and drop into cheese quesadillas for the kids (or everyone).

Weegee

That looks fantastic!

Here's another twist on it that you can probably find from a previous post of mine in this forum - use ancho chilies in adobo sauce, some carne asada-style seasoning, and some onions to take this same preparation into fajita-land. The leftover meat is really great to chop up and drop into cheese quesadillas for the kids (or everyone).
I like that direction a lot!

My wife and I got the Meateater cookbook last Christmas, and immediately got hooked on the adobada sauce. You take dry chiles (guajillo and pasilla) and blister them in a skillet, then soak them in water, add garlic, chipotles, various other seasonings, and blend it up. Braise your shanks in that and it is out of this world. She used the leftovers to make homemade tamales that my family fights over.

SJS

I started hoisting deer up by the feet, not behind the Achilles, just so I could preserve the shanks. The shanks are the lower leg cuts, "calf" and "forearm" of the deer, and usually are grinder-pile muscles if they're even kept at all. If you've never slow braised (any animal's) shanks before, you don't know how good it really is. Due to all the connective tissue, this is a long slow cook. Start out by seasoning well (salt & pepper) a few hours beforehand. I ended up salting these first, but running out of time. So I added about 3 tbsp of salt to a cup of red wine, shook it around, and poured over top of the meat. It sat in the fridge overnight.

The next day, Mrs. TAFKAP prepared the dish. We used Hank Shaw's Portuguese-style braised shank recipe. https://honest-food.net/rainy-days-and-braised-shanks/. The key to any braised dish is to start with a good browning of the meat. You'll need a large Dutch oven or roasting pan for this one. Braises don't require a lot of liquid, but enough to get about halfway up the meat when it cooks. Avoid a Crock Pot if at all possible with this one.

130556115_201097458280006_4289534309798337596_o.jpg
Why not use a crockpot? I have done mine in there for years and they come out perfect.

TAFKAP

We got rid of our Crock Pot years ago when it started to develop hot spots. Turns out, we discovered that we didn't like how it cooked, and we haven't missed it. The rich browning flavors of this dish can't be achieved with a Crock Pot. I know there are more modern ones that'll get hot enough to brown the meat, but the cast iron dutch oven will do that much better. Because of how big these shanks were, we actually used a roasting pan instead of a dutch oven anyway.

BamaProud

I'm gonna put this here, but I also think it deserves its own thread. Some of yall might want to skip 11:00 to 12:10.

In my opinion a more meaty substitute for shanks is the neck sawed in 1-2 inch thick "planks".

BuckWild

Throw those shanks in the smoker for an hour before braising.

Adds a great smoky flavor.

I cut mine into 1.5 inch sections and cook osso bucco style.

If you aren't cooking venison shanks you are missing out.

east_tn_gk

I completely agree with the fact that the shanks are an excellent meal and should definitely be saved. Something I do (for those Crock Pot fans) is brown the shanks in a large skillet, then I throw it in the Crock Pot with the onions, carrots etc. It's the best of both world's in my opinion.

Latest posts