Food Plots Shaded plot?

Pintail

What would be a good seeding be for a shaded plot, it's on a hill side where I cleared out all the undergrowth. It's close to 2 acres.

BSK

I have not had good luck with shaded plots in summer. However, no such problem in fall if the shade is deciduous trees (trees that drop their leaves). Planting early October, and once leaves start coming off, the plot will jump in late October and early November.

DoubleRidge

I have one plot that has heavy shade down one side and Ive been able to establish clover over that portion of the plot but it does get some sun during a portion of the day....when you mention underbrush and shade....are you talking about a wooded area under canopy? If so that may be challenging to plant....but if it is an area under a timber canopy...you can manage the natural vegetation, forbs, etc. and generate more tons of food and cover that most planted food plots...but even with that plan you're still going to need some sunlight in to the forest floor. May need to consider removing few trees and let the light in....if its an open plot that only get sun a short portion of day you could try buckwheat...it grows well in a variety of conditions....deer will use it some....then let it go to seed and get a second crop...plus turkeys and dove will love it....good luck with your project.

megalomaniac

West slope, moderate sun for half a day.
You are good to go with clover and wheat then.

I hate to recommend it (because it's such poor nutritional value for deer), but annual ryegrass will also do great in that situation. And if erosion is a concern, I'd def add annual ryegrass.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
You are good to go with clover and wheat then.

I hate to recommend it (because it's such poor nutritional value for deer), but annual ryegrass will also do great in that situation. And if erosion is a concern, I'd def add annual ryegrass.
You had me onboard till you said annual ryegrass…

Fall plot blends that include cool season clovers, small grain and brassicas and fertilize them early spring to make them run for summer

megalomaniac

You had me onboard till you said annual ryegrass…

Fall plot blends that include cool season clovers, small grain and brassicas and fertilize them early spring to make them run for summer
LOL annual ryegrass has it's place.... it grows FAST and puts down roots to hold soil in erosion prone slopes. It will grow almost anywhere. And for whatever reason, deer love it (even though it has almost no nutritional value). I still use it on newly constructed bulldozed roads in late fall. It can be a bit of a problem as it will reseed itself, but I'd rather see ryegrass on a sloped plot than erosion channels running downhill with all the topsoil at the bottom of the hill.

Just don't buy the expensive 'throw and mow' seed blends ... those are mostly annual ryegrass

Latest posts