Seasonal range-shifting has begun

JCDEERMAN

BSK said:
102 said:
I have yet to see a fawn. But these are BIG hardwoods. NO agriculture.

All of the places I'm running censuses are primarily ridge-and-hollow big hardwoods, and all are showing similar numbers. Fawn recruitment is low.

In the places we hunt in Middle Tennessee, deer seem to be scarce. I suspect this is due to an abundance of TALL corn and beans still in the field.

I'm hoping deer are still in the agriculture. I'm also seeing low deer numbers and few mature bucks in the hardwoods.

That is interesting. I am seeing the exact opposite. More and more fawns are showing up with does, buck numbers are high (especially 2 1/2's and 3 1/2's), and deer numbers in general are high.

We have stricly hardwoods (ridges and hollows), but we dont have the surrounding "ag" fields, so thats more than likely the difference in properties. I'm sure they will pop up soon.

BSK

JCDEERMAN said:
We have stricly hardwoods (ridges and hollows), but we dont have the surrounding "ag" fields, so thats more than likely the difference in properties.

You're probably right JCDEERMAN, and that's a prime example of why "every situation is unique."

I am fortunate to be able to see and hunt TOTALLY different deer herd. Not only different Counties, but also different States.
There is simply NO COMPARISON from, not only State to State, but County to County. And I mean NONE. Not only are the numbers of deer different, but also the Rut, and even the animal itself. I can't prove it, but my observations while hunting support the theory that different deer herds respond differently to hunter presence/pressure based on several factors. These factors (IMO) include everything from history of the area right down to genetics.

So trying to manage or even hunt an entire Region of the state, let alone the ENTIRE state, has got to be ridiculosly difficult.

JCDEERMAN

I wish I hadnt left my laptop at the house this past weekend. Got to our cabin and couldnt check any of our cameras. Wont be back till the day before bow season, which kinda messes me up. I was looking forward to seeing some hard horn and hopefully some new bucks :mad:

BSK

JCDEERMAN said:
I wish I hadnt left my laptop at the house this past weekend. Got to our cabin and couldnt check any of our cameras.

Memory cards have gotten so cheap, I just have two cards for every camera. I swap cards every time I visit.

JCDEERMAN

BSK said:
JCDEERMAN said:
I wish I hadnt left my laptop at the house this past weekend. Got to our cabin and couldnt check any of our cameras.

Memory cards have gotten so cheap, I just have two cards for every camera. I swap cards every time I visit.

I have some extra ones, but I was wanting to look at them and move some of the "more continuously un-productive" ones. Some of the salt licks, were getting much less activity last time I checked them. I was going to move them to some of the food sources such as a few of the White oaks that looked like they were fixing to drop, maybe a few field edges, and maybe look for a few early scrapes to set them up on. I ended up moving one, but didnt wanna go into the other areas, thinking I would do more harm than good.

BSK

Football Hunter said:
BSK said:
Yeah, seeing them on the spot (so you can move unproductive cameras) requires a laptop or card viewer.
I use my Garmin GPS unit,unplug it from thr truck,take it in the woods,not real easy to see,small pics,but you can get a general idea

Very interesting. I had never thought of that.

tnclayboy

BSK ,I would say youre right ,My situation is all Ag and little hardwoods ,all red oaks pretty much ,alot of native browse also,such as blacberries and honey suckle. the deer have mowed down about two rows of beans all the way around his fields that border the hardwood swamp,on a good evening you can see 20 to 30 deer feeding in that area . This seems to be the case most years down here. what makes it better hunting for me is when my uncle cant plant the area right next to the hardwood cause its to wet down there. it will then get taken over by tall grass and it gives the deer not such a hard edge and some security cover .that seems pull them out just before dark better.
I got some mature sawtooths that i can see from my bedroom and the deer are hitting them pretty much all day.antlers seem to be going hard here ,got a few still in velvet. not seing the mature bucks that i saw earlier this year . never do but I don't believe they have left town completly just expanded there range,they still visit every once in a while ,just not as often .would You consider that behavior a range shift?

BSK

If they have just gone nocturnal, no, not a range shift. But if they have shifted their area of focus geographically, yes, that's a seasonal range-shift.

Latest posts