Season wrecker

megalomaniac

Mike Belt":32t3t630 said:
That last pic is a bulkier looking buck.
I think the new buck is 5.5 (esp considering he's post 2 ruts). I initially thought the other buck was a run down 4.5, but as I got more pics of him, I changed my mind and figure he's only 3.5.

It's been pretty easy to squeeze in a 1.5h hunt in the evenings with daylight lengthening and living 15 min away. And these deer behave totally.differently.than my TN deer.... they almost never move in daylight, and when they do, it's in the last 15 min of shooting light. But this new spot has some open pine timber that borders a thick streamside management zone he's prob bedded in, so I can move in on him and hopefully catch him in the eve's on the way out to feed

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

megalomaniac":6mtoirjr said:
Mike Belt":6mtoirjr said:
That last pic is a bulkier looking buck.
I think the new buck is 5.5 (esp considering he's post 2 ruts). I initially thought the other buck was a run down 4.5, but as I got more pics of him, I changed my mind and figure he's only 3.5.

It's been pretty easy to squeeze in a 1.5h hunt in the evenings with daylight lengthening and living 15 min away. And these deer behave totally.differently.than my TN deer.... they almost never move in daylight, and when they do, it's in the last 15 min of shooting light. But this new spot has some open pine timber that borders a thick streamside management zone he's prob bedded in, so I can move in on him and hopefully catch him in the eve's on the way out to feed

Fun is over. My son and I got in the stand hunting the new buck this afternoon.. 10 min later, he came down the hardwood drain from where he was bedded about 50yds from a major road. He stopped on a logging road behind a short magnolia tree blocking his vitals for 5 minutes. My son couldn't make out vitals, so I told him to pick out a spot 5 yards down the trail where there was an opening. The buck started walking briskly, and he made it past the opening before Ethan could shoot. I told Ethan to find another opening and get the shot off before the buck got away. He just couldn't seem to get on him moving through the timber, so just before he went over a rise and into another gully, I told him, we can't let this deer get away, would it hurt your feelings if I shot him? He said no, so I grabbed the gun and got on him, found a tiny opening 150yds through the timber and killed him as he trotted thru. Ended up being 4.5, not an ounce of fat, prolly around 170lbs, 110.75in, 16.5 inside, 18.5in beams. Mainframe 9, but the 9th point was only 1 in. Not much mass, but a good buck for down here. Def the biggest one killed on the lease this year. Funny how it works, hunted the other buck 15 or 16 times, killed this one the first time going after him
7a30992d1c36d32fecd024b16da42829.jpg
cf53e74d81b805bc75c82d59195db46c.jpg

Andy S.

Congrats Jon, glad to hear you and Ethan put him down. This is the first "congrats" on a deer in February I have ever typed, so thanks for that, and thanks for sharing with us.

megalomaniac

Tks for the congrats! Still pretty stoked about this one, and learned a lot in the process. My first buck to have ever killed in South MS, and the largest I've ever seen on the hoof down here. Really cool how that buck learned to avoid hunters by bedding just off a major road and visiting a plot less than 100 yards off that road.

Was also my first time to hunt over bait (legal if it's not poured on the ground, and you have to be 100 yards away from the feeder... stupid rule I don't get, honestly- just discriminates against bowhunters). In my limited experience the past 5 weeks, I've found it to be worthless. The initial buck I targeted was hitting the feeder, but never when I was there. The buck I killed was visiting a plot with no feeder within 500 yard radius. There is some argument about feeders just make the deer even more nocturnal and harder, not easier to kill. I think there may be quite a bit of merit to this. Another factor, feeders seem to attract more hunting pressure. Most of the plots that had feeders were the ones with the most pressure on them. Corn certainly isn't a magic bullet, even in late season when all the acorns are gone and browse is limited. I will say, however, that the feeders during the season certainly help in locating bucks you want to hunt.

megalomaniac

Already been planning for next year! Another member had a pic of my buck back in Dec before he rutted down.
81ebbd35c809f0739fadbfcee9258134.jpg

Latest posts