Scope Question

stik

3-9x40. brand is your choice. spend as much as you can on optics. you won't be sorry. a cheap scope will eventually bite you.

mr.big

stik said:
redblood said:
3-9x40 would be a little much for that gun. Kimbermans list is perfect

i don't see that as too much for a .308 at all.

I guess it would depend on where you would be using it,,most people that hunt with lever actions hunt thick country which takes a smaller scope,,but if you are hunting open country with a lever action a 3-9 would be fine,,the caliber doesnt really matter,,or the rifle either,,but close in quick shots that are usually thought of when using a lever would be much easier to make with a 1.5-5 or 2-7 than a 3-9,

jakeway

I agree with Kimberman! I love 2-7 scopes; my last three have been that size (RedHead Epic, Leupold, and Burris) and I have them on my ML, my .260, and my .243. I hit an 8 inch steel gong at 300 yards just fine with it at 7X, and usually have it set at 2X when walking and 4X when sitting. So unless you plan to do a lot of long range shooting, you won't need any more power than that. These size scopes usually have a bit more eye relief, too.

redblood

Scope has to fit the rifle in my opinion. Blr s are pretty trim elegant rifles and I think you need a scope that fits it in mass, length and weight not overshadows it with its bulk. 3-9x40 would be fine on an 8 lb bolt gun in 308. Imo its all about balance

Latest posts