Science without context

TheLBLman

Late season, late December and January, it needs to be seasonal temperatures. Afternoon food plot or ag field hunting is usually more productive. I think they feed all night long.
So long as things are not frozen up (too cold).

Another thing many hunters might be very surprised about:

In cold weather especially, deer will often bed much of the night right in the middle of a large field, particularly one like a hay field or one without too much bare ground. They will often stayed bedded, right out in the open, until it starts getting light, then get up & head for better cover. This is one of the reasons morning hunting is often not as good as afternoon hunting on fields, as you more easily spook the bedded (or very nearby) deer upon your arrival.

Ski

So long as things are not frozen up (too cold).

Another thing many hunters might be very surprised about:

In cold weather especially, deer will often bed much of the night right in the middle of a large field, particularly one like a hay field or one without too much bare ground. They will often stayed bedded, right out in the open, until it starts getting light, then get up & head for better cover. This is one of the reasons morning hunting is often not as good as afternoon hunting on fields, as you more easily spook the bedded (or very nearby) deer upon your arrival.

You can see that almost every night of the season in places I hunt with fields or food plots.

DeerCamp

I emailed Kip with NDA yesterday. He emailed me back pretty quickly. His response was a little defensive but courteous.

The main point is, you can't take a single month's data and use that to infer deer activity in a much different month.

This would be the equivalent of looking at traffic patterns in February in Panama City and saying spring break doesn't really bring more people to Florida.

Ski

I emailed Kip with NDA yesterday. He emailed me back pretty quickly. His response was a little defensive but courteous.

The main point is, you can't take a single month's data and use that to infer deer activity in a much different month.

This would be the equivalent of looking at traffic patterns in February in Panama City and saying spring break doesn't really bring more people to Florida.

Eh, while I 110% agree with you, I'm not sure it's a fight worth having. It won't change what you know nor change the way you hunt. Anybody who hunts even somewhat seriously knows deer movement is much more nuanced and subject to countless variables.

It's like the moon or rut forecast. Some hunters will hold to it like it's gospel and they'll probably kill deer. Others will call it all nonsense and they'll also kill deer. It's not because anybody is right or wrong. It's because they're out there where deer live and if you're doing that, you'll see & kill deer.

DeerCamp

I agree with all of this.
Late season, late December and January, it needs to be seasonal temperatures. Afternoon food plot or ag field hunting is usually more productive. I think they feed all night long.
I commented on the Penn State deer blog roughly what I said here (in a very considerate way).

It looks like my comment was deleted and comments were closed on the topic.