Science, the Moon DOES matter

AT Hiker

*or can matter...

http://www.moonguide.com/new-study-link ... -movement/
"In a 2016 joint study, deer biologists from Auburn University, Louisiana State University, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, and Norfolk Southern Railway concluded the moon does play a significant role on deer behavior. This long-term study observed the behavior of deer fitted with radio collars against a variety of environmental influences and with the data collected and analyzed, the researchers discovered a correlation of deer movement patterns to the overhead and underfoot positions of the moon."

Thoughts? Personally, I started tracking it last year and agree with it and the barometer. Anecdotal? Maybe not according to this study...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

Animals (including us) are made up of a high percentage of water. The moon's position and stage has a magnetic pull that water responds to. I am a firm believer that a full moon overhead in the afternoon going into nightfall has a direct response in the form of early afternoon deer movement.

AT Hiker

Its important to note that this study shows a "higher probability of movement" not a guarantee.
I read the study, it has been 10 years since I had research methods in graduate school so my comprehension of it was less than stellar.

Mike Belt

Nothing in deer hunting is a guarantee. However, if I could pick just one afternoon to hunt during season it would be on a clear day the last day of November or the first week in December with temps in the low 40's with a full moon in the sky at 3PM.

larry ipock

AT Hiker":ipi06hho said:
*or can matter...

http://www.moonguide.com/new-study-link ... -movement/
"In a 2016 joint study, deer biologists from Auburn University, Louisiana State University, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, and Norfolk Southern Railway concluded the moon does play a significant role on deer behavior. This long-term study observed the behavior of deer fitted with radio collars against a variety of environmental influences and with the data collected and analyzed, the researchers discovered a correlation of deer movement patterns to the overhead and underfoot positions of the moon."

Thoughts? Personally, I started tracking it last year and agree with it and the barometer. Anecdotal? Maybe not according to this study...thoughts?

I agree, but there always variables, like exterme weather and hunting pressure, and so on.

UTGrad

Mike Belt":3oucr6uh said:
Animals (including us) are made up of a high percentage of water. The moon's position and stage has a magnetic pull that water responds to. I am a firm believer that a full moon overhead in the afternoon going into nightfall has a direct response in the form of early afternoon deer movement.

Kinda creepy if you think about it.

csi-tech

I think the illumination a full moon provides gets them moving through the night hours. I have pretty much stopped hunting mornings on a full or near full moon. Give me a new moon or a waning/waxing crescent on the leading edge of a cold front. The only thing better is a blue moon.

Crosshairy

csi-tech":y6n3w4qz said:
I think the illumination a full moon provides gets them moving through the night hours. I have pretty much stopped hunting mornings on a full or near full moon. Give me a new moon or a waning/waxing crescent on the leading edge of a cold front. The only thing better is a blue moon.

I tend to agree. I think the main effect of the moon is the amount of light present, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to declare that there are no other effects.

I always hope for dark nights (even storm fronts) that encourage the deer to hunker down, since it promotes daytime movement.

I haven't seen any studies that correlate cloudy nights to deer movement, but if that correlation was made, it would lend some credence to the light theory.

BHC

Usually other factors tend to put way the moon IMO, weather hunting pressure, stage of breeding cycle, food availability, predation, etc. Its just not a major concern for me in my planning. It may have a role, but to me a less important one that shouldn't play much into my hunt scheduling...

Poleaxe

Northfolk southern? Wonder if they just had the train crews to shine the fields up and down the rail? They should've just called me. I see a ton off the engines during the bright moons.

Latest posts