When did archery, become nerd science class?

redblood

Front of Center, single bevel/double bevel, sharpening jigs? Micro diameter-5mm 4 mm? What is going on? I leave it for a few years and the world goes crazy! I had just heard about mechanical broadheads and now they seem to be obsolete. Oh well, i just got 2 packs of the same broadheads i shot in 1992 -muzzy 3blade. Time to hunt lol

Lost Lake

Front of Center, single bevel/double bevel, sharpening jigs? Micro diameter-5mm 4 mm? What is going on? I leave it for a few years and the world goes crazy! I had just heard about mechanical broadheads and now they seem to be obsolete. Oh well, i just got 2 packs of the same broadheads i shot in 1992 -muzzy 3blade. Time to hunt lol
It's gotten complicated. I'll just stick with my traditional bows.

Mescalero

A lot about the physics of archery, and everything behind FOC, single/double bevel, weight, etc. Dr. Ed Ashby on the MeatEater podcast. The good doctor's an entertaining Texan. He's all about penetration and pass-through.

Andy S.

Time to hunt
It's humorous to me some of the lengths folks go to shoot a 150 pound deer. I was shooting through them and burying up in dirt in 1993 with some pretty simple gear. The game has not changed, but again, folks like to over-analyze and over-complicate things, and spend money on the latest and greatest, and that is what we see many times with archery gear for the sake of killing a whitetail deer.

Duck dogn

Yes redblood I agree it's over the top with tuning now. I still shoot mathews switchback with Easton epic arrows. 100 grain mechanicals. I talked to a guy the other day that shoots precision strings, 400 grain arrows which is 200 grain boadhead with 100 grain inserts. Arrow is 100 grain. And a list of other factors..... forget that I will stick to my normal stuff with practice.

Buzzard Breath

I'm guilty!!! I'm a tinkerer by nature. I just can't leave anything well enough alone. 2 years ago, it was high FOC and single-bevel broadheads. Last year I went back to traditional. This year, its a compound shooting a standard 408 grain arrow/head combo, but all my components have to have the same camo pattern. Who knows what I'll change next year. I just can't not do something different. It's not just with hunting either. I'm worse when it comes to fly fishing.

Bushape

None of that stuff matters if you can't get on the deer in the first place. And I'm still learning to hunt, probably always will. I'll worry about equipment when I've mastered hunting.
This is what most people forget, myself included. From socks to stands you can very easily have $3k in the tree with you at any time, but if you're not smart enough to get in the right tree it's all in vain.

BSK

This is what most people forget, myself included. From socks to stands you can very easily have $3k in the tree with you at any time, but if you're not smart enough to get in the right tree it's all in vain.
What's even more in vane is being able to get on the deer but being a lousy shot at live deer! I could drill a target all day, but on deer, I truly sucked! My first year bow-hunting I missed over 40 times. Only took a couple more fruitless and frustrating years to give it up.

1908_Cubbies

A lot about the physics of archery, and everything behind FOC, single/double bevel, weight, etc. Dr. Ed Ashby on the MeatEater podcast. The good doctor's an entertaining Texan. He's all about penetration and pass-through.

I just finished this one today. Dr. Ashby gives you a lot to think about for sure!

Ski

From socks to stands you can very easily have $3k in the tree with you at any time

Ain't that the truth! That's probably not far off from what I have at any given time, and I'm a minimalist. That said, I don't buy junk. I don't have a lot but what I do have is high quality, from my bow to my boots. Wince once so they say. I hate having to buy stuff over & over. Boots are the worst. Can't find a pair of boots anymore that'll last more than a season or two unless you're trading in your first born.

Latest posts