Food Plots School Me on Lime

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I did 4,000# in 40 lb bags both this spring and last fall. Really sucked, but at least I had a UTV spreader. But that's a lot of bags to carry by yourself. And each one from the loading dock to the truck, then from the truck to the ground, then from the ground into the UTV bed, then from the UTV into the spreader. No wonder I now have back problems. 🤬
I was happy when they COOP boys rolled up with a pallet and stuck it in my truck. it sucked unloading it all at the farm and spreading it. I ended up going to physical therapy for my shoulder about 2 months later...lol

Last edited:

BSK

I was happen when they COOP boys rolled up with a pallet and stuck it in my truck. it sucked unloading it all at the farm and spreading it. I ended up going to physical therapy for my shoulder about 2 months later...lol
All my adult life I've watched people struggle with back problems and thought, I'm so glad that's not me. Now I've got something going on with my lower back. Hoping it's not a disk. Keeps me up at night. Jolt of pain every time I twist to roll over.

Getting old sucks. Playing at being a farmer is even worse.

TNTreeman

^^^ I have a physical job ^^^^ but the less I do in actual working the less lean and mean I've gotten. I spend a lot of time estimating now as opposed to working. Started working out again and jogging 3 months ago and starting to see small results . I spread 800 lbs of 15-15-15 by hand 2 weeks ago in an ol shoulder strap spreader. I wasn't trying to be efficient, just get a workout . I was throwing 50 lbs on each shoulder and walking into the field and dropping them in different locations. I hurt all over my body for two days afterwards. Muscles and fat I forgot I had ached. 10 years ago this would have been no problem, getting older is not for sissies.

JCDEERMAN

^^^ I have a physical job ^^^^ but the less I do in actual working the less lean and mean I've gotten. I spend a lot of time estimating now as opposed to working. Started working out again and jogging 3 months ago and starting to see small results . I spread 800 lbs of 15-15-15 by hand 2 weeks ago in an ol shoulder strap spreader. I wasn't trying to be efficient, just get a workout . I was throwing 50 lbs on each shoulder and walking into the field and dropping them in different locations. I hurt all over my body for two days afterwards. Muscles and fat I forgot I had ached. 10 years ago this would have been no problem, getting older is not for sissies.
Ain't that the truth. I'm still going strong and there are very few things I can't do. However, the older I get, the longer the aches and pains stay with me. Used to be none, then a day or 2. Now, it's 3-4 days. I can deal through that, for now at least. I've found that what gets me the most that I used to be able to tolerate, is the sun and heat. Being out in the elements for 12 hours doing farm work, or heck just sitting on the tractor for that long, completely drains me. It's a different kind of feeling, and that feeling typically sticks with me for about 4 days. It hits me bad.

vonb

I was happy when they COOP boys rolled up with a pallet and stuck it in my truck. it sucked unloading it all at the farm and spreading it. I ended up going to physical therapy for my shoulder about 2 months later...lol

I think that's where the liquid lime shines. 2.5 gal of solution per acre. Just add 10-15 gallons of water.

BSK

I've found that what gets me the most that I used to be able to tolerate, is the sun and heat. Being out in the elements for 12 hours doing farm work, or heck just sitting on the tractor for that long, completely drains me. It's a different kind of feeling, and that feeling typically sticks with me for about 4 days. It hits me bad.
Last year, I talked my brothers into coming to TN to help move tree stands in August. We worked for almost a week in Heat Indexes over 100 every day. Put up 4 tower blinds and moved 24 ladder stands, most being big 2-person ladders. Both of my brothers are in excellent shape. One lives a mile high in the Southwestern desert and runs and plays tennis almost every day. The other lives at 9,000 feet in the Rockies and regularly mountain bikes over 30 miles above tree-line. Yet after about the fourth day in a row of working all day in heavy clothes in our heat and humidity, they admitted they were wiped out. By the 5th day, we were all physical wrecks by lunchtime. Everyone said they felt like crap for the next week.

TNTreeman

Two of my boys are ( 24 and 18) they work hard everyday for me then exercise and work second jobs. Tomorrow after work they are running 27 miles. They run 20 all the time but haven't run that far yet. My 18 yr old isn't as good of a runner but he is strong, benches 260 only weighing 150. He takes jujitsu and won several matches just because the others ran out of juice and he didn't . He would hold off the more skilled guys and win in the end because they were outta steam. I tell them all the time to enjoy their youth and energy, it won't be there forever .

Latest posts