Food Plots Lime Price

tellico4x4

For the first time in 15 years I did a soil test on all our plots this spring. Sent 48 samples to Auburn & had results in 3 days which I thought was impressive. Much to my surprise 75% of them came back in 6.0 to 7.2 range. Been adding lime every 4-5 years the past 21 when I saw sage grass starting to show up. Had some newer plots come in the mid 5 range so thought I'd hit them with pelletized but at $6.50 bag that came to $2,700. All but two can be gotten to with lime truck so called Waynesboro CoOp this morning for price & it's $58/T ! Cheaper & better than pelletized but dang that's high. Last summer had 109 tons spread last summer at $40/T & that was way higher than in 2017 which was $28/T. Expensive habit I have🤣

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
yeah i bought lime by 40lb bags at TSC for 3 for $9 last year. this year i was excited to find 2 of local TSC had it for 5.49 while 2 others in the area was 5.99. Coop was 6.47 a bag. I've been buying a couple bags every few weeks, but all my TSC have ran out of it. one went from 80 bags. Wish I could get a lime truck in.

TRIGGER

Does prices really matter if the land needs the lime??
Just asking.
Sure it does. The land does not need the lime. The plants do not NEED the lime. We just WANT the lime to make the plants better to draw in whatever wildlife we choose. It's a balance of money vs reward. If we were talking farming where higher yield means more money to offset the price it would be a different story.

deerhunter10

For the first time in 15 years I did a soil test on all our plots this spring. Sent 48 samples to Auburn & had results in 3 days which I thought was impressive. Much to my surprise 75% of them came back in 6.0 to 7.2 range. Been adding lime every 4-5 years the past 21 when I saw sage grass starting to show up. Had some newer plots come in the mid 5 range so thought I'd hit them with pelletized but at $6.50 bag that came to $2,700. All but two can be gotten to with lime truck so called Waynesboro CoOp this morning for price & it's $58/T ! Cheaper & better than pelletized but dang that's high. Last summer had 109 tons spread last summer at $40/T & that was way higher than in 2017 which was $28/T. Expensive habit I have🤣
We went with local guy for Lime last year on our hay fields. He was 15$ a ton cheaper and spread it. I would shop around if you are lucky to have a few around.

tellico4x4

We went with local guy for Lime last year on our hay fields. He was 15$ a ton cheaper and spread it. I would shop around if you are lucky to have a few around.
Unfortunately don't have any other choice in our area. Only need a truck load this time so it won't break the bank, but a $30/T increase over 6 years is pretty stout. Supposedly this is "better" lime and 1.5T/acre is equivalent to 2T/acre they were getting from Wayne Rock. Not sure how that's possible, maybe the size screen they run it through? BTW, Waynesboro Co-Op said that Wayne Rock was not doing lime anymore....

BSK

Unfortunately don't have any other choice in our area. Only need a truck load this time so it won't break the bank, but a $30/T increase over 6 years is pretty stout. Supposedly this is "better" lime and 1.5T/acre is equivalent to 2T/acre they were getting from Wayne Rock. Not sure how that's possible, maybe the size screen they run it through? BTW, Waynesboro Co-Op said that Wayne Rock was not doing lime anymore....
Most likely dolomitic lime. Higher calcium carbonate content and breaks down faster.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Most likely dolomitic lime. Higher calcium carbonate content and breaks down faster.
Correct yes. I used to haul dolomitic lime from Princeton, Ky to fields within minutes of other quarries for the added value. It's amazing how small of a pile 17 ton of lime is.

Latest posts