Savage axis misfire

bambikiller423

Tuesday I was hunting with my savage 30.06 and pulled the trigger and pap, gun went off and bullet did not, this morning savage 308, same thing happened. Any got any ideas WHY.
30.06 few years old gun, remington core lok bullets, maybe a year old
308 gun was purchased last year and only shot a few times a few months ago to sight in scope, bullets winchester deer season bought a few months ago

bambikiller423

Just barely

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_102911.jpg
    IMG_20211224_102911.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 73

bambikiller423

I'm thinking tnlynn may be right, I can see some crud maybe with my 30.06 but as I said my 308 is brand new with about 10 bullets ran through it

Rageman

Bamikiller I just literally said the same about this in another thread my gun smith told me to use federal ammo in the Savage apparently they have a softer primer I had the 308 and my dad has the 3006 he had one click on his rifle to this year on a little 8 pt luckily he caught it in time and got him I don't want to steer you the wrong way with Savage I can't speak for there more expensive models but the axis has some flaws the bolt is also stiff and you think it's closed all the way and it's not I sold mine and got a Mossberg Patriot no issues anymore I'll have a Remington 783 pretty good gun also I can't put anymore trust in the axis

bambikiller423

I understand, I like savage axis, been shooting them for about 10 years now, been running the remington all this time to, I think and I'm hoping that I just had a user error and I'm going to make sure that my bolt is fully shut

clinchbilly

My savage axis 6.5 creedmore did the same thing last year. I took the bolt out and sprayed AeroKroil oil on the firing pin and have fired 10 rounds or so though it with no issues.

rifle02

Two things. If your Savage has the accutrigger I have seen those malfunction where when the trigger is pulled the striker does not actually fall. The other is that Savage in my opinion has a weak Link in it and it is the internal Striker assembly of the bolt. If you disassemble it to clean it be very careful there's a washer with tiny wings or tabs that are easily broken that thing is what controls your firing pin protrusion so maybe you should check that.

Safari Hunt

Did a bit of gunsmithing years ago. Dirty firearms are a big cause of malfunction. Had a guy bring in a Sako that wouldn't dent the primer. Removed about 3 pounds of crud from the bolt and it worked!

Latest posts