Misfire

jpierce111

Just had a misfire on my only deer so far this year.. Optima V2 using blackhorn 209 with a shotgun primer...Has been loaded since October... Hasn't been wet at all. Gun just went pop!! And spit out my Barnes tez bullet....Blame the primer?? Blame the powder??? Left loaded too long??? Just bad luck???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpierce111

Make matters worse about 10 minutes later someone else's muzzle loader did not misfire...Right from the direction my deer went.

jpierce111

Well I assume my bullet was shot...Sure it wasn't still in the barrel when I checked .. So now I'm wondering if through days of handling and hunting is it ever possible that a saboted bullet can come loose and slide out??? I know I know...just brainstorming...

MUP

Aquaholic":cqnic3xl said:
It's gun season... Blame the owner... LoL

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sorry but this is kinda how I see it too. :) I've always said I will have the weapon that gives me the best chance at killing whatever I may see, at whatever distance i may see it at. I absolutely love ML hunting, but when rifle opens I'm all about having a rifle on the hunt. Did you look for the sabot? It should be inline within 15-30 yds of where you shot.

jpierce111

MUP":2tyxmszp said:
Aquaholic":2tyxmszp said:
It's gun season... Blame the owner... LoL

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sorry but this is kinda how I see it too. :) I've always said I will have the weapon that gives me the best chance at killing whatever I may see, at whatever distance i may see it at. I absolutely love ML hunting, but when rifle opens I'm all about having a rifle on the hunt. Did you look for the sabot? It should be inline within 15-30 yds of where you shot.

Was hunting a shotgun / muzzleloader only area.

jpierce111

Talking to a friend and we both now think that moisture must have gotten to the powder through condensation.. Cold gun coming into a warm house over and over. Warm gun cold mornings.....so on

whwood21

I believe in discharging and cleaning after each hunting day, I know that costs a little bit of money but I can rest assured that each time I go out I have done everything possible to insure ignition. I pretty much only hunt ml and bow on any land any time of the year....forces me take shots that I have extreme confidence in taking.

DaveB

A primer alone will not push a sabot and bullet out the barrel.

A saboted bullet will not fall out of the sabot once seated.

With no sabot present the powder would have fallen out of the barrel unless you never pointed the muzzle down.

Looks as if your loading process may have been interrupted and not completed.

Easy error to make-nearly everyone has done so with a bolt action-Failed to chamber a round until you pull the trigger and click is all you get.

JKC

DaveB":28ig5k70 said:
A primer alone will not push a sabot and bullet out the barrel.

A saboted bullet will not fall out of the sabot once seated.

With no sabot present the powder would have fallen out of the barrel unless you never pointed the muzzle down.

Looks as if your loading process may have been interrupted and not completed.

Easy error to make-nearly everyone has done so with a bolt action-Failed to chamber a round until you pull the trigger and click is all you get.

This is what I think too.

UTGrad

jpierce111":2r8uumvp said:
Talking to a friend and we both now think that moisture must have gotten to the powder through condensation.. Cold gun coming into a warm house over and over. Warm gun cold mornings.....so on

That's possible. I keep my muzzleloader in the garage when not in my truck or in the woods. I haven't had a misfire yet with Blackhorn 209. Also I use the Federal 209A primers. I read a study one time they are the hottest 209 primers on the market.

Latest posts